Touch of Honor: Epilogue

Spruce's eyes opened at the sound of the wooden door. He was forced to squint past the light, which invaded his cell. He had lost track of how many days he had resided in the Phandal jail, though he could have escaped at any time.

     Through the door walked the usual knight who made his rounds through the cells, though Spruce was its only prisoner. Behind the knight emerged a tall, young woman with black cropped hair, sporting a plain and unremarkable look.

     Spruce found the woman not much to look at, but was intrigued once he noticed what was wrapped around her head.

     The woman wore a white headband, her black

     Bangs hanging over its front, its tails waving behind her.

     Rather short for a monastic headband. Even shorter for a white band of Kozakoro. Spruce, still chained, played with his own three foot long and dirty white band. It's soft touch was the only comfort afforded to him in the dark, and depraved lonely space that he brought himself to.

     "This is him." The knight proclaimed, stepping to the side for the woman to look. He then approached and unlocked the cell door. "Good riddance. Savage."

     The woman approached the door with the knight. "Let him keep his chains." She said in a honeyed, yet rough voice.

     "If you're from The Randy Sister, you're a little late to beg for my release." Spruce said, as he began to fall back asleep.

     The woman gave the knight a confused glance.

     "Yes I am the great savage and savior, Spruce Gee. I'm not in the mood for conjugal visitations."

     "Get up." The woman commanded.

     Spruce sat still against the wall of his cell. "And why should I?"

     "The venue of your execution has been moved." She responded. "No doubt to the disappointment of this town."

     The monk snickered. "And where am I to be executed now?"

     The woman took a step into the cell, her hands resting on her slim waist. "The great courtyard of Sohei temple."

END