Chapter 5: An Artist's Muse

The studio was well lit by the moon. It smelled pleasantly of cedar wood and grass after a gentle spring rain. Oskar was painting fervently and feverishly as if he could not put brush to canvas fast enough. He glanced up at Tav and then back down several times, adding another splash of color each time. From his seated position on one of the plush leather couches, Astarion couldn't help but watch as Tav transformed into an innocent young man. Tav had always been mysterious like that. When he talked, it was to say a few words and there was almost always a purpose to them. Yet, there was something childlike about him that Astarion couldn't quite place that had been captured perfectly in Oskar's portrait of him. Absently, he wondered why had he rejected him all those years ago? It seemed like such a foolish thing to do now. Tav was all the things Astarion liked, but the younger man was single-minded in his mission. Nothing would deter him from the path he'd set. No matter how badly Astarion wished the opposite was true.

In the center of the room where Tav was standing, the moonlight struck him as if he was some heavenly god descended. He wore the light like a mask and the shadows like a cloak. As the final touches of the painting were completed, Oskar stood back to admire the comely form he'd mirrored perfectly in his art. He gasped audibly, tears pricking the corners of his eyes. A smile was making its way across his face as he allowed some semblance of pride to come washing over him. This portrait was only one of many he had painted of Tav, each one better than the last. Tav had been visiting the painter every day for two weeks with no word from Cazador or his minions, though he'd been invited to several parties in between.

"I know I say this every time, but it's a masterpiece, Oskar. Surely, Tav will allow you to send this one somewhere to be exhibited," said Astarion, exasperated.

Tav shook his head. He made his stance on the matter known several times the past couple of weeks. It had not changed at all, but still he spoke with all the patience in the world. "If my face becomes too notorious, it will make my job much harder than it needs to be. Oskar seems perfectly content to keep my portraits to himself anyway."

Oskar nodded in agreement, "It is quite true Young Master Astarion. To show these paintings to the world would expose Tav in a way I am sure he would detest. My own personal reasons would be too abstract for either of you to comprehend."

"I've truly never understood artists. They spend their lives, their souls, for a moment of fame and when the chance finally presents itself for their work to be immortalized, they shy from it. You would become one of the wealthiest men in Baldur's Gate if you sold even one portrait of Tav. What a waste," Astarion lamented. "Were I you, I would display these works and tell everyone I came across they weren't for sale, until someone offered me so much money that it would be foolish and impossible to refuse. Because if there is anything the wealthy love, it is rare and expensive things no one else can have the pleasure of owning. Even if there is no practical use for it other than decoration and contemplation."

"Artists are a hard bunch to understand. No two are alike and their opinions vary widely from time to time, but I have grown quite content with my position now. I do not want for anything and I am free to paint to my heart's content. I may go anywhere I please and no one will be none the wiser as to who I am or what I have done," explained Oskar, "Some of us appreciate anonymity. It can make a work of art even more valuable."

"You're content belonging to Cazador." Astarion said pointedly.

"Don't look at me like that, Astarion. I do not belong to Cazador anymore than you do. He does not control me. We have in essence a mutually beneficial relationship. In exchange for my art, Cazador allows me my life." Oskar chided him.

"You sound like a favored pet."

"On that, we agree, but don't go thinking you are not much the same." The artist turned his attention to Tav, dropping the conversation with Astarion entirely, "It is a shame you must bring him every time you stand for me. Your expression really is divine when you look at him. I know you have your reasons for not telling me the history between you both and I won't prod. But we are friends, Tav. You have a loyal friend in me and you never need worry about me keeping your confidence. For what you have given me, you can scarcely comprehend."