Chapter Nine: La Vie En Rose

From outside, Tav's residence suggested that nothing was amiss. Inside, Astarion found it to be in disarray. That was in no small part due to his nearly draining the life out of Tav. The servants fussed horribly over their master and were genuinely distraught over his weakened state. The house was kept dimly lit, something Astarion now realized was odd for a human. Each room was never lit by more than a few candles and the windows were always covered to keep out the sunlight so Astarion never needed to worry about roasting out in the sun. He knew personally that Tav had once adored the sun and enjoyed basking in its light. Since when did that change?

The first week he spent here with Tav had been something of a dream. Without Cazador's influence, he felt an outsider even to himself. He was able to do normal things, like go to an opera or a local club. He was free to indulge in carnal pleasures without anything attached. There was no longer an ulterior motive for anything. Tav was even helping him get revenge even if it was just a side effect of his mission. What he couldn't understand was why he'd pushed Tav despite his warnings. He wasn't saying he deserved to be shot, but Tav had missed his heart. He saw the man in action. It wasn't something simple like an accident. If Tav had really wanted to kill him, he would be dead.

When Astarion was on the brink of death, Tav's blood was the only thing that had saved him. He'd been ravenous and too weak to hunt any beast. He could still remember what his blood had tasted like, smooth and refined, faintly sweet like... a perfectly aged wine one never intended to share because its flavor couldn't be appreciated by inexperienced palettes. The description was so poetic he could have laughed.

He was reclining in a comfortable chair, in the small library of Tav's home. It was so very much like the owner. Minimalistic and purposeful. No windows, a lantern for light, well cared for classic literature, and a well-maintained, well-used typewriter on a smooth oakwood desk. And like everything else in Tav's home, it smelled faintly of rain and cedarwood.

After some nondescript amount of time had passed, he heard the door open behind him. "Are you sure I haven't killed him, Oskar? It's been three whole days..." his voice trailed off.

"I should like to think I'm still very much alive, bloodsucker."

Astarion whirled around, jumping quickly to his feet. "Tav–"

"So, you really have returned," said Tav, "I thought you would be gone when I opened my eyes. You're very good at running."

"In my defense, I did try to run. I just didn't get very far," Astarion's expression softened slightly. He was fighting the urge to be hostile. He had something he wanted to say and he needed Tav to listen. "I didn't know running would be so hard without adequate protection."

Tav leaned against the frame of the door. He was trying not to look weak, but Astarion could tell he was still very tired. That didn't mean he wasn't dangerous. His entire body was tense, coiled up like a snake in the grass. Even in this state, Astarion would be no match for him and he hated it.

"You're seeking help from someone who shot you?" asked Tav.

"I'm seeking help from someone who could have killed me several times over," Astarion took in a breath. Tav really tested his patience. "And didn't. Who better to ask?"

Tav was looking at him like he was disappointed. Astarion couldn't help but feel helpless. He didn't know the right words in this situation. What did one say to someone like Tav?

"Despite all my doubts, I've watched you do the impossible over and over again. You never seem to think anything is impossible, only about getting it done. I thought you were mad when you said someone like Cazador is capable of something human, like love. I only knew that being with you meant being free from Cazador. So, I thought to seduce you so you wouldn't abandon me. All I earned was a bolt to the chest. Needless to say, I'd run out of options. I couldn't kill you and seducing you was out of the question. Nearly dead and tail tucked between my legs, I went back to Cazador," said Astarion bitterly. "I told him I'd found the most beautiful soul in Baldur's Gate and that I would bring you to him if he let me go. But Cazador isn't an idiot. He saw right through me even without his ability to compel me to do his bidding. He said I'd done him a favor by falling out of your good graces. He said you were right to shoot me. Then he threw me in a cage and I was back to eating nothing but putrid rats. Sometimes I was flayed for good measure. He found every opportunity he could to tell me what I'd lost. And I think that was what I hated most. I couldn't stand to hear him talk about you."