Names

(Rimuru POV)

Ti-ding!

Wild Wolves Have joined your party!!

If this were a game, it would probably pop up in my notifications. With the remaining direwolves now part of the village, our numbers have significantly increased.

I should probably issue some orders to maintain order in the village.

"By the way, Elder, do you have a name?"

"Monsters typically don't have names. We communicate without the need for names."

"Nevertheless, it's rather inconvenient for me to address all of you. I've got it! I'll just give 'each' of you a name."

Silence!

Wooooooo!!

What!? What's going on all of a sudden? Whoa! Why are they looking at me with such anticipation?

"A-Are you sure about this?"

"Unn. Y-Yeah! So, line up."

Sheesh! If you all wanted names this badly, you could have just come up with your own!

I began the naming process with the village elder, now named Rigurd, and his son, Rigur.

As I gave names to a few other goblins, Gobta and Gobzo, Rigurd, the goblin elder, approached me with a concerned expression.

"Are you absolutely certain about this, Lord Rimuru?"

"Hm?"

"I understand you possess great magical power, but if you give names to every single person here..."

"Then what? It's no big deal. Don't worry about it."

Just look at how excited they all are. I can't just stop now anyway.

...

Finally, it seemed the male goblins were finished.

As I turned my attention to the female goblins, one of them stood out at the very top of the line. She was quite different from the others, with her long brown hair and a strikingly pretty face, which was exceptionally rare among the goblin species.

Hmm? Isn't she the one Hiiro was talking to yesterday after the direwolves were defeated? Why isn't she stepping forward? Doesn't she want a name? Or perhaps...

After a few moments, she finally stepped forward, bowed to me, and said,

"..Lord Rimuru, may I make a request?"

I could guess what she wanted, so I decided to entertain her request.

"I will allow it. Speak your mind."

The goblin female, her long brown hair contrasting with her species' usual appearance, seemed grateful for the opportunity. Her eyes shimmered with excitement and hope as she took a step closer to me.

"...Thank you so much! I want to receive the name from your companion to show him my loyalty."

Her request didn't surprise me; it was clear that she had a particular interest in Hiiro. Given his unique appearance and abilities, he naturally drew curiosity. However, I also knew Hiiro to be somewhat of an introvert, preferring to keep a low profile and not actively engaging with others. This situation might be slightly discomforting for him, as evidenced by his subtle signs of annoyance. Yet, I had confidence that he would handle it gracefully.

It was almost like an introvert suddenly thrust into the spotlight, and Hiiro seemed to share that sentiment. However, I had no doubt that he would comply with her request, even if it went against his usual preferences. So, I left it in his capable hands, chuckling inwardly at the unfolding situation and the potential for a new bond to form.

"Hmm. I think you should ask the person in question about that. Right, Hiiro?"