Rules

Some were excited, while others were in admiration, but it was a very noisy bunch. Finally, after a few minutes, they quieted down.

"There... It took you lot a whole five minutes to finally quiet down."

I playfully imitated a certain old man with a white mustache, much like the one on my face. However, it seemed the goblins didn't quite grasp the concept of impersonation, as they tilted their heads with large question marks floating above them.

"Ahem, with that out of the way!..."

I decided not to dwell on it, as it wasn't of great importance in this world. Instead, I smoothly transitioned to another topic, diverting their attention as naturally as possible.

That's how a true adult handles embarrassment. However...

"...Pftt..."

As always, there was someone sharp-witted beside me who could easily see through my act. He suppressed his laughter, but it was clear to me that he found my performance very amusing.

Why did he always have to be around when I embarrassed myself? Well, go ahead and laugh all you want. Just know that the day will come when I'll have my turn to chuckle at you.

After silently venting my frustration to Hiiro in my own mind, I addressed the goblins, who were listening attentively.

"As you can see, our little group has grown much larger. Therefore, in the interest of avoiding trouble, I want to establish some ground rules."

They were simple yet important to ensure there wouldn't be any conflicts and to bring order to the village, slowly but surely. The rules I've established were as follows:

1. There shall be no conflicts among ourselves.

2. You shall not look down upon others just because you've evolved and grown a little stronger.

3. And, Finally, no attacking humans.

These rules are quite straightforward and easy to follow, if I say so myself.

"That is all. These three rules are Ironclad."

Of course, there might be situations where some flexibility is needed, but that's not the case right now. If they adhere to these rules, it should be sufficient to maintain peace for the time being.

However, it doesn't mean I'll just stand there and let myself be hit in the face, trying to follow the rules to a T.

My policy is to allow them to make the first move, but whether their attack actually lands or not on me is very different matter altogether. The moment someone initiates their move or even the attack itself, my stance shifts to self-defense, making me the victim. Meaning, Nobody could dare to lay the blame on me for protecting myself and potentially beating the opponent half to death, so that they wouldn't dare to try it again.

But, Hey! there will be no second chances and if somehow it does, next time, I will end it from the very roots no matter the consequences. I mean, I was a very patient guy, as you all know but if pushed and poked too much even I would lose my cool.

I don't expect them to fully grasp this, but I'm curious to see how they'll respond to these rules I've laid out without any prior discussion.

"I have a question."

Ah, here it comes.

"Ah, what is it, Rigur?"

"Why mustn't we attack humans?"

"You dare question Lord Rimuru's Judgement?"

As expected, this question about not attacking humans was likely to come up.

But Before I could provide an answer, Rigurd, the macho goblin elder, shot a very angry look to Rigur, so menacing and disgusted that made him flinch in surprise and fear. I had no choice but to step in before the situation escalated.

"No, Rigurd, it's fine."

In truth, I was glad that he was questioning me. It showed that he was taking my words quite seriously. I didn't want blind followers who couldn't think for themselves. If that were the case, I might as well have turned to Direwolves pack or creatures with low intelligence that followed the strong without question. I wanted them to develop and grow not only physically and in terms of power but also mentally and intellectually.

And, now it was time to provide an answer.