And the time stood still

The words "haan, Farjaad hi mera fiance hai" felt nothing less than a sword tearing her heart. What she talked about next with Reena was merely a haze. Before she came to her senses, AK brought Reena and Umeed a cup of tea; Reena took the cup and left, but Umeed was shell-shocked and lost in her thoughts. While trying to grab the cup, she spilled hot tea on her hand, which AK instantly held, and inquired if she was all right; amidst AK's panic, Farjaad entered and saw AK holding Umeed's hand. 

     Seeing them so close, Farjaad grew furious and couldn't wrap his head around why and how this was real because yesterday felt like a dream. He was mesmerized chasing her, and for the first time, her wide eyes screamed mutual affection, something that she never expressed around AK. How could he have interpreted it this wrong? Why was she with him? Why did AK hold her hand? Why was he not seeing sparkles in her eyes today? Why and what changed was all he had in his mind.

     Before Farjaad intervened, AK rushed to bring the first aid kit, leaving Farjaad and Umeed alone in the hall. There they were, all alone right in front of each other, just not the way they had been yesterday in each other's company. He was furious seeing her with AK, and she was deep down angry and sad hearing about Farjaad's engagement.

     Their passionate eyes had all the angst they could hold. He just wanted to hold her tight and express how he burns seeing her with anyone else, and all she wanted to do was grab him by his collar, look right through his eyes, and question him why yesterday his endearing eyes didn't want to let her go. Why did he chase her down the stairs? Though no words were exchanged, why did his deep gaze make her giddy? Why was he engaged? Why did he make her feel what she felt all along?

     Lost in their angst, they started walking toward each other, and just when he was about to hold Umeed by her arm, AK entered the hall with the first aid kit and, annoyed Farjaad, left the hall. After freshening up, Farjaad joined the guests and saw the chocolate cake in the center of the table for him to cut & celebrate his birthday, which he was least interested in after what transpired between him and Umeed in the hall. 

     Since his mother and sister planned a party for him, he showed up and went with the flow. One after the other, every present guest wished him in person and gave him his gift. Though he was angry with Umeed, he was expecting that she might gift him the phone she brought for him to his office yesterday. Umeed stood at the corner of the room and side-eyed Farjaad with the hope that this nightmare would end and he would come saying what Reena told her was all a lie. 

     Her heart couldn't accept what her ears heard, and tears rolled down her eyes, watching Reena give him the painting. She wanted to gift him that and see his alluring eyes in awe once he opened the gift, but her dreams were shattered into pieces before anything could start. Receiving a hugely wrapped gift, Farjaad started unwrapping it, and his eyes met Umeed's moist eyes. He hated when anyone, especially he, made her gloomy, but the anger overpowered this feeling, and he continued to open the gift. 

     He loved the painting, but his eyes didn't twinkle, and Umeed was surprised to see this. She expected a joyful reaction to him receiving his favorite from his fiance. On the other hand, he felt pain in his heart receiving something he truly adored from someone other than Umeed. At that moment, he just wished for a smile from Umeed and some alone time with her. He couldn't bear the pain anymore and just wanted them to open up to each other and end this game. He expected her to come to him, and she expected him to initiate, but no one did, and the party ended with happy faces except for them, who were deep down torn from what happened today. 

     The night was far from the end for Farjaad and Umeed. There, she lay on the bed with open eyes, and he was in the study, trying to concentrate on preparing the presentation due by morning. Umeed still couldn't believe Farjaad was engaged, and neither he nor Mimi mentioned it. How? Why? For what? Farjaad had the laptop in front of him, but all he could see was AK holding her hand, and she didn't resist it. Why? Why was she there if she didn't even want to wish? 

     Nothing was making sense to either of them!! If they hadn't felt what they felt yesterday, today would have been easier for them, but not with those memories could they end today on a sour note. Umeed still lay on her bed and closed her eyes, hoping things would get better, and Farjaad rested his head over the cushion to catch a break from what happened over the party. 

     Both reminisce about their encounter yesterday with closed eyes; she was there in his office to gift him the phone, and he was perplexed by how someone in front of him thought about what he might like or want. He never received the phone since he didn't have the watch he bought for her to give. 

     This feeling was so new to him that he didn't want this encounter to end with the one, who despite her dislike for him & his rules, cared about his wants. Umeed, in disbelief at him returning the watch he bought, rushes downstairs without waving bye, and Farjaad follows her. 

     She was angry, but he, mesmerized by her gesture of bringing him the phone, caught her in no time. Their eyes met, her wide eyes were trying hard to hide what she felt with him rushing after her, but he, in awe of her pristine heart and warm gesture, couldn't take his eyes off her. 

     Right before they were to walk down the stairs to the parking lot, her eyes sparkled, and her lips couldn't hold back a smile anymore. How could she? Why would she stop feeling giddy with this man chasing her down the stairs, leaving his work that he prays? Not even her family ever chased the way this man chased just because he wanted to and didn't need to. For the very first time, Farjaad saw mutual admiration and felt like he had just closed a lifelong deal. 

     None of them received the gifts but witnessed something more than what they had in their wildest dreams. Umeed left, and Farjaad took a lift upstairs, both had beaming smiles illuminating the darkest parts of their lives. On this thought, they opened their eyes and frowned at tonight's party. 

     Yesterday was too good to spoil today; Farjaad dialed Miss Drama Queen's number and immediately cut the call because AK's face floated in front of his eyes. Maybe texting was a better option. He typed a long paragraph but erased everything in a dilemma of how the tone of the message would sound when she would read. Was it too late? Shall he do this? It was chaos in his head, he dialed again, and the call went by, but she didn't answer. He tried again and again, but she didn't receive the call, and he lost all hope. Farjaad thought she was ignoring him, or maybe she was asleep.

     Was she really not willing to talk, didn't she want to know what changed? Of course, she did but how would have she received a call with her mobile on silent and aside from her side table? 10 minutes past the missed calls and her restlessness knew no bounds, so she decided to call Changez Khan and confront him upfront about his engagement. Before she dialed, her notification reflected three missed calls from him.

     Why did he call? What did he want to talk about? Did he call to inform her about his engagement? Why? How? For what? It was chaos all over again, so she finally dialed his number, the call went by, and he picked up with all the butterflies in his stomach, angst in his eyes, and a burning sensation in his heart. 

Simultaneously, they uttered hello; AND THE TIME STOOD STILL!!