A Rhythm they both danced to

Neither Farjaad, when entering home, nor Umeed, while lost in her thoughts expected to see the latter the very next moment. He procrastinated about how the watch would turn out, and she lost hope of confronting Farjaad about his engagement. They both asked for a different choice of beverage than their regular from Mimi. Being confused she responded kya mangvau? CHAI YA COFFEE?

AND THE TIME STOOD STILL once again, somehow when they lose hope the stars realign and bring them in front of each other and today was no different. Looking at the latter in front of them, Mimi's question was just a white noise, and with no words spoken their eyes started talking.

His eyes, in disbelief, yelled restlessness he had entire day thinking about the watch and regretting to have returned her gift in the first place whereas her loud eyes screamed and demanded answers on how, why, and when he got engaged to Reena and for what on earth was she unaware about it. Mimi, on her third attempt questioning them, received an answer from both, them still not shifting their gaze from each other. Farjaad asked for coffee and Umeed for chai since they didn't want the latter to know about their desire to drink the beverage the latter liked when they missed each other's presence.

Hearing their choice, Mimi left the lounge saying bhai aap fresh ho jaye mai Niaz ke haathon coffee bhijwa ti hu aapke room mein aur Umeed mai abhi Niaz se chai aur coffee ka kehke aati hu. With no one but them sharing the same space both felt the adrenaline rush since they had a lot to ask and much more to express, only if they could control the overwhelming emotions and talk but now wasn't the time.

With Umeed sitting on the couch in amusement and Farjaad standing near the study with his coat folded on the left arm and his work bag in his right hand their eyes continued talking, her loud eyes soon became teary for she imagined Reena standing by his side in front of her and his restless eyes deepened requesting a chance to set things right and make her smile the brightest because since he heard Umeed on phone saying 'wo phone maine wapis kar diya waise hi jaise aapne ghadi lauta di thi', it was neither about phone nor watch anymore for him it was about how precious her smile would have been if he was able to give it to her.

Still their gaze affixed his deep eyes noticed tears, and still with no words spoken his face nuances with lifted eyebrows and parted lips wanted to know the reason for the gloominess he witnessed and her subconscious mind through her hands in the air and a gulp through her throat yearned for consolation confirming Reena isn't part of his life and it was all a lie what she heard.

For both, it was getting difficult to breathe and simultaneously they uttered "mujhe tumse-mujhe aapse" and Mimi interfered 'bhai aap fresh nahi hue ab tak, Niaz coffee le kar aa hi raha hai'. Before he could speak Mimi continued "ab yeh mat kahiyega ki aap dono lad rahe the" and Umeed responded hum nahi lad rahe the, Farjaad affirmed and left the area saying "mai fresh ho jata hu, Mimi beta coffee mere room mein jaldi bhijwa dena".

Neither did he want to leave without a conversation with Umeed nor did Umeed want him to leave without answering the burning questions she had in her mind but it had to happen. On the way to his room, he couldn't believe that with himself prepared to not meet her for the next 2 weeks he was able to meet her the same day and still couldn't talk. At the other end, Umeed with lost hope still encountered Farjaad in his home with no one around but still couldn't utter a word. This feeling, this numbness around each other was new and something neither of them had control over. Continuing to reminiscence their recent encounter Farjaad took a quick shower and Umeed stood half ear to what Mimi had to say.

Niaz did bring chai for Umeed and placed the coffee cup in Farjaad's room on the side table since he was in the shower, having a cup of coffee and chai in front of them their mind still wandered for they were so close yet so far because neither could utter a word. Unable to pull it together Farjaad left a half-drunk coffee cup aside and decided to walk down the stairs and find some excuse to talk to Umeed. Umeed herself being restless, she made an excuse to use the restroom and started climbing up the stairs to confront him in his room.

With every step forward she and he with every step down tried to come up with a small talk to initiate the conversation, so lost in their head neither of them realized that they were climbing up and walking down the same stairwell, just four stairs apart Umeed thought she will rightly ask if he was engaged to Reena why did he need to follow her down the stairs in his office with a mesmerized face.

With three stairs apart Farjaad decided to request Mimi get the painkillers for he was still having a headache and once she leaves start a conversation with Umeed saying, tum is waqt yahan pe kaise? He knew he was being dumb but it made all the sense to him at that time, and just 2 stairs apart they finally assert on their small talk scenarios in their head.

Just one stair apart both realize someone's footsteps towards them but before they can stop their feet they bump into each other without a clue, since Umeed had a faster pace she on bumping falls into Farjaad's right arm while he tries to balance himself from falling on his head. Farjaad was able to balance with his left hand held to the stair rail & not yet realizing one who fell on his right arm was Umeed, it took a few seconds for both of them to realize what just happened.

On falling into his arm Umeed's eyes were still closed while Farjaad being the first to realize had his gaze stuck on her hair falling on her innocent face with a few strands stuck to her lips parted apart. To confirm if she was okay Farjaad called out "Umeed tum theek ho?" She knew it was his voice but still felt she was daydreaming because of the stumble, how could he be here, and never would he ever be lost in thoughts to bump into me, she still couldn't pull it together. Farjaad brought his right arm forward with Umeed along and wrapped his left hand around her waist to make sure she was stable, their eyes met, and he softly moved the hair strands stuck to his parted lips brushing his cheeks to the slightest, and tucked it around her ears. Witnessing all this with her eyes wide open in amusement and fixed on his gaze Farjaad repeated "Umeed tum theek ho?", this time with enough sense she was about to speak when they heard Mimi calling "Umeed, Haya aur Sameer lene aaye hai, tum theek ho? Tumhari chai bhi thandi ho gayi hai ab". Farjaad loosened his grip and Umeed with a deep breath rushed down the stairs, Farjaad too slowly made his way down trying his best to not let the smile loose in front of others.

Umeed greeted Mimi goodbye as soon as she reached downstairs apologizing for missing on chai, Farjaad was just about to walk down the last few steps when Umeed started leaving with Haya and Sameer but before she was out of sight she turned back for her heart knew Farjaad will follow and on turning back he was right there beside Mimi with a straight face but awe in his eyes, her heart eyes met his eyes in awe and unspoken words need not be spoken anymore for their hearts knew last few moments from tonight was A RHYTHM THEY BOTH DANCED TO.