CHAPTER 8: LOST FAMILY AND FRIENDS

We looked up to the sky and saw military air strikers dropping bombs. They were going to annihilate the entire island regardless of any survivors. "OH SHIT!" I heard Areum shoutout.

We all ran back inside the house with panic looks on our faces. "What? What is happening?" Louisiana wide eyed asked.

"The military are going to bombed the entire island. We have to get out of here now." I said as I grabbed a few things in a duffel bag for my grandparents. I saw my great grandmother sit down with a sad look on her face. "Grandma?" I kneeled in front of her. "Grandma, we have to..."

She shook her head with a sad smile and in her native language of Korean spoke to me. "This is my home. This is the island in which I was born and this is where I will die."

"Grandma, please this is not the time...." I closed my mouth when she placed her old hand on my wet cheek from tears that spilled.

"You and the others get out of here. Save yourselves while you still can. I'm too old for this rigorous adventure. These old bones won't allow me to."

"I...I...can't leave you alone..."

"She won't be alone," my grandfather sat next to her, taking her hand in his. "I will stay with my mother." I cried, hugging both of them.We all jumped when we heard some bombs a bit close making the house shake. I felt Hyunjin grab my arm pulling me up. He bowed to my grandparents. "Take care of my granddaughter." He nodded and bowed again.

"Abbie, we have to go now." I walked backwards engraving my grandparents' faces into my mind. We saw fire far and near. We got into the cars and began driving away. I saw a few Eaters on fire while others were dead, dead burnt to a crisp. A few more air strikers flew close and dropped more bombs taking out a few houses. I was sitting at the passenger seat and turned to look at my grandparents house for the last time when a few bombs dropped and blew it up along with a few other homes. My scream was stuck in my throat and I was blinded by my tears. Hyunjin swerved the car from left to right to avoid the debris that dropped from the homes. Besides Hyunjin and I, we had Louisiana, Areum and her husband Daeshim with a child on each of their laps. The children were frightened, crying with their little hands over their ears. Louisiana didn't dare look back knowing full well what just happened by the look on my face. I sat straight, not wanting Hyunjin to worry about me or get distracted.

Ji-Hun, Mrs. Jeong, Young-Soo and Dae-Jung were in the car behind us. Hyunjin took a back road to avoid the incoming tanks. "Why don't we go to the military? They will protect us." Daeshim asked as he saw us avoid them.

"They will kill us," Hyunjin answered him.

Seeing the confused look on Daeshim and Areum's faces, I had to explain. "They're instructed to kill the Eaters and everyone else just to stop the spreading of infection."

"B...But we're not infected," Louisiana's voice quivered.

"They are following orders and will shoot you at sight," I answered. "We have to find another way off this island or we're all dead."

Hyunjin suddenly stopped the car and I quickly looked at him, then my rearview mirror. Ji-Hun's car had stopped a few feet behind us. We got out of the car and walked over to his group. "What happened?" Hyunjin asked.

"We ran out of gas," Mrs. Jeong said.

"We will go on foot from here on."

Dae-Jung shook his head nervously, "We can't go by foot. Those things are still out there." He took a few steps back. "I'm going to the military. They're here to rescue us."

"They will shoot you on site Dae-Jung," Ji-Hun told him. "I already explained that to you in the car."

"I...I...don't believe you," he put his hands up in defense. "I'm going back to find that tank and get off of this island."