CHAPTER 9: ANOTHER DANGEROUS RESCUE

Hyunjin placed a finger over his lips to let Ye-Joon to be quiet. He nodded as he rested his cheek on top of Mai Ling's head, diverting his gaze to the people in the cage. He watched the guards closely, about four of them sitting at a table playing cards, smoking, laughing and talking loud. Two of the dim lights that lined up above the walkway flicked on and off. Ye-Joon kissed Mai Ling's temple then whispered in her ear. "Don't look or make any sudden facial gestures," he placed loose strands of hair behind her ear. Mai Ling only squeezed his hand to let him know that she understood. Ye-Joon leaned into her ear, whispering, "Hyunjin is here. I believe he's here to rescue us." Mai Ling squeezed his hand, but kept her facial expression somber, just like everyone trapped inside the cages.

Hyunjin and Abbie contemplated what would be their next step. Abbie looked at the far right of the base where a high fence wasn't guarded. She noticed Eaters gathering behind that unattended fence. "Hyunjin, look over there." He followed where she pointed towards the fence. "You should go inside the holding barracks and give the survivors in the cages the paste to eat. I'm going to open that gate to let the Eaters inside. This will get the guards in the barracks to come out and keep the military busy and gives you time to escape with Mai Ling and Ye-Joon. I will meet up with you guys as soon as I let the Eaters in."

"Ok, sounds like a good plan. Did you eat enough paste?" Hyunjin asked.

"Yes I did. What about you?" He nodded, then readied his gun. "I will wait for the soldiers to leave the barracks before going through that window." Abbie was about to walk away when Hyunjin pulled her back and kissed her. "Be careful." Abbie nodded then gave him a quick tap kiss on his moist lips and hurried towards the gate.

Abbie put on her goggles and walked past the soldiers towards her mission. The sun was high in the clear sky, but chilly. Abbie analyzed the gate and counted about 30 Eaters. That should be enough to start a huge chaos. Abbie looked back to see Hyunjin watching her, waiting for the moment. As Abbie approached, the Eaters started to get agitated, banging on the fence to get in. She walked in a different direction knowing that the Eaters would follow her. She needed to let them in where there were few soldiers patrolling. Abbie saw five soldiers engrossed in conversation with their backs to her. She saw a padlock on the gate door. She placed her silencer on the gun and from a safe distance, shot the lock a few times until it fell on the floor.

Abbie quickly ran past the five soldiers with Eaters right behind her. By the time the soldiers turned around to see what was happening, they were attacked by Eaters. Abbie could hear the soldiers scream in fear getting the attention of more soldiers that began running with their guns ready for battle.

Hyunjin slipped through the window and landed with a thud on his feet. Ye-Joon and Mai Ling quickly ran towards him. The survivors locked in the cages were panicking due to the chaos outside. "Step back," Hyunjin ordered as he shot the lock open from each cage. "Come with me," Hyunjin ordered Ye-Joon, Mai Ling and the remaining survivors. At least the eight that listened. Many decided to run outside of the barracks only to be met with Eaters. He took them back to the window where he had come in from. "Here, eat this quickly."

"What is it?" One of the male survivors asked.

"It will keep you from turning in case you get infected."

"There's a cure?!" An older woman asked.

"Yes, so hurry, eat it and let's get out of here."

A man started pushing the other survivors to the side to get in the front for the paste. Once he reached Hyunjin he froze. Hyunjin glared at the man known as Dong-Hyun. The asshole from the hotel that sacrificed Choon-Hee and Yeona to the Eaters to save his own ass. The military had rescued him and brought him here. Hyunjin gave the bag to Mai Ling and proceeded to hand out paste to the very few survivors. Mai Ling was about to give Dong-Hyun some paste when Hyunjin stopped her. "He doesn't get any."