Chapter Twelve: Sheep Herding

Sophia and Casia sped through the woods south of Antion, led by wolves. The air was hot and muggy, and the Sun Spirit was blazing down on them hard and fast. Fortenex needed to provide them more wind. Casia and Sophia felt sweat soaking their garments, legs pumping as they ran. Few men could have kept such a pace as they ran.

Sophia felt insecure about her loss to Aklus. The assault had been very sudden and Ajax sending her on this was an opportunity.

"So what do you think of Ajax?" asked Casia.

"I believe he is a relentless and effective leader," said Sophia. "Though, he seems too  relentless."

"What?" said Casia. "No, I meant do you think he is cute?"

"He is part wolf, Casia," said Sophia.

"Wolves are cute," said Casia.

"Not in that way," said Sophia. "Not to me."

"So what do you mean by too relentless?" asked Casia.

"Many of his subordinates are called up suddenly and without warning," said Sophia. "And he often bound here and there with a speed that is remarkable."

Sophia wondered what purpose her journey here served.

"Hey, Sophia," said Casia. "Why do you think Aklus raided the temple to steal some statues? Isn't that kind of a risk?"

"He wasn't," said Sophia thoughtfully. "I think he was trying to kill Relma. And also to deny the statues to the High King's government. Those statues were a valuable source of funding."

"So attacking the King was a diversion," said Casia. "Those bastards got one over on us."

"Don't swear, Casia," said Sophia. "And I expect Aklus had every intent of killing us all. Call our first engagement a draw."

"I want to draw a bath," said Casia. "The sun is making me sweat."

Sophia privately agreed.

It seemed that High King Relma's court was where the reward for doing one job was to get another. A policy Sophia could respect, though she'd have liked to rest. She'd also wanted to say goodbye to Vanion and the others.

Seynaran was walled like every other village, but there were two walls. An inner, older wall of stone that was smaller and shorter. And an outer wall that surrounded the parts of the town that had grown beyond it. The roofs had shingles in many cases, and the whole place had a clear look of prosperity. Merchant carts were moving in.

"Is that the place?" asked Casia.

"Yes, that is Seynaran," said Oresa. "I came by here to do some healing. I wouldn't say I liked the look of the guards, though. One asked me if I was interested in making a profit through my skills.

"I had the feeling I wasn't allowed to say no. So I left to come back here."

"How many are there?" asked Casia.

"I uh... I'm not good at counting," said Oresa, rubbing the back of her head nervously.

The wolves walked off the path and motioned with their heads.

"We are not going into the town anyway," said Sophia. "Our employer is to meet us in the woods. Remember that Alchives does not want us to go into the town. Remember, we're here to defend shepherds and their flocks. Not entertain ourselves.

"Besides, we observe the gods' will here on their behalf. We must remain focused on our divine task."

"Why can't we take a break, though?" asked Casia, crossing her arms. "We've been sleeping on the ground for long enough."