1

I never really thought much about what would happen if the world were to end. I liked things simpler, the way they were, honestly I didn't think much at all. I cared about other things, like music, and my boyfriend, Lucas. Actually, I was with him when this whole thing started.

We were shopping at the Bangor Mall, it was a shitty excuse for a mall but we had been there at least 6 times so we figured let's just go again. I think we were messing around in American Eagle, the last real life moment. I was getting all mad about the band tees. I miss when that was all I had to be angry about.

It all happened so quickly, I remember seeing, blood, a lot of it. It splattered on the window of the store. From then on I couldn't really tell you what happened from my perspective, I just passed out, maybe I was hallucinating, didn't matter, I dont even remember getting dizzy, just hitting the floor.

Lucas told me, the worker lady ran to the door and pulled down the gate. He says he saw some lifeless people throw themselves at metal bars. He just stared, holding me on the ground. Some other white girls survived that, their carts full with some bullshit that didn't matter now. I don't think they are alive today, but whatever, they didn't have anyone, it wasn't fair.

It's a blur, but we left the mall eventually, there wasn't enough food. This guy found us,
his name, Max. Lucas never really trusted the guy, but I was desperate, wanted food, and he seemed reasonable to me. The store lady stayed back, her best friend and coworker, couldn't leave, she was sick. We all begged her to leave, she had a chance, but she wouldn't.

Max introduced himself, we got to know him on the drive over. He was 26, never really did much before this, just hung around. Lucas calls him a hick, but I really don't care much him.

Max's camp used to be an old history landmark preserve renamed The Hut, (we were never given an explanation.) Some 1600s first American camp. It was a huge stretch of land surrounded by metal poles and spiked logs. The spiked logs being from the 1600s, and the poles made so nobody could get in and destroy the landmark. Either way it was a great idea. He threw some tents together, spread them out all through the reserve, and just let whoever he'd like in. I mean, he took us in, Lucas thought it was stupid to let some strangers in but I was just grateful to get out of that god awful mall, we would've died just like those girls.

The people of "The Hut" were questionable. Probably because they actively searched for anyone who in reality shouldn't have lived past a month. Max taught them to be strong and careful and in exchange they let him be in charge. It was a dictatorship, but there's not much you can do about it when the dead are trying to kill you. He was the man in charge from the start, and always will be.

Before all this I had a best friend, Chloe. She was real mad at me the day the apocolypse started, she wanted to see me so badly, but I had plans with Lucas. Chloe was a questionable girl, we were the same age, 24, and had been friends since 7. That's 17 years of friendship, and to say the least I didn't want to see her. Maybe it wasn't all because of how bad of a person she was, maybe it was because I loved her, more than anyone. Honestly if I had it my way I wouldn't have Lucas with me either. I couldn't lose them, I don't know what id do.

I had figured that maybe she's on her own, probably running her own group, she was like that, born to dictate. And at first I didn't really care, I was okay not knowing, making up my own story. But then, what if she's angry, what if she never forgives me? What if she finds me on my own and attacks me for not looking for her? I had to find her.

The next morning after my thoughts I had to tell Lucas. I knew he never liked her, but I had to get someone to go with me, or I was leaving alone. Of course, he called me crazy, thought Chloe would destroy everything Max made. But she was just a girl, and my best friend, and he knew how much she meant to me. Usually he'd just agree with me, but I don't know, I guess he didn't like her enough to go along with it this time.