Leaving Earth I Guess

IRIS:

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN WE WON'T BE GOING TO SCHOOL?!" I hear my brother Asher yell downstairs. I groan. It's not even six in the morning, they'll wake the neighbors... the poor neighbors. But I am curious, what are they talking about?

I sneak to the railing to spy on them. Asher's tan skin immediately stands out against the white walls, but it takes a while to get my eyes to focus enough to see my mom.

"Asher, honey, please calm down." I see asher playing with his hair, which is how he copes with anxiety.

"Mom, you know I haven't packed anything from school, do the teachers know about it? What if we want to live in the normal world and we can't get a job because we dropped out of middle school? I need to see jake again, I bailed on him when he took too long to use the bathroom. I-"

"Asher, sweetie." She says. "I've already figured that out, as for jake, you will be able to contact him via phone. We won't abandon this house, not after how much i went through to get it..."

There was a pause.

Then I hear Asher running up the stairs. He notices me.

"Sorry if i woke you up." He says turning his gaze away from mine before rushing to his room and closing the door.

I walk down the stairs and go into the kitchen. Where I hear my mom silently sigh. When she sees me she plasters on a smile and greets me.

"Good morning sweetie, did you sleep well?" She says not looking up from the tomatoes she was slicing.

"Yes mom. I woke up because of the commotion. What were you and Asher talking about?" She forgets about the tomatoes, and puts down the knife.

"Well... the thing is, instead of sending you to human school we decided to send you two to the celestial school."

ASHER:

I faceplant onto the bed.
"Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhh." Mom almost never thinks like a rational human being.

I mean she isn't one but...

I throw a pillow on the wall and wonder about what to do for the next day. Youtube doesn't seem good anymore. I think about sitting on the bed all day, but nah, even more boring.

I think about asking mom more questions, but if I go out right now it would make me look like im over it.

So I have the even stupider idea of texting mom instead.

<(Mom. Will there be a uniform)

(Asher, Honey, why dont you just come down?)>

<(No. Answer my question)

(Yes. it does have a uniform.)>
(Anything else?)>

<(Of course I do. Will there be anyone who would know like the swirly thing)

(No. No school or parent is allowed to teach magic.)>

<(Wait, why?)

(Eh, I dont know im not the ministry)>

<(Ministry?)

(Yeah. I'll explain if you come down.)>

<(No.)

(Yes.)>

<(No.)

(Fine. I guess we wont tell you about it)>

<(OK, ok im coming.)

I sigh at mom's skill of blackmail and i slowly open the door and slink downstairs.