WTF School

⚠️ WARNING ⚠️
MATH

Iris:

"Why is the school called WTF school?" I stand in front of the pearly white gates that separate us from the building.

"Do they actually want us to say the word every time we talk about the school?" Asher smiles slightly at the realization that he can maybe swear.

"No sweetie, the WTF doesn't stand for the word it means something else." A little disappointed Asher looks at mom waiting for an answer.

"It stands for Winter Treaty Formal. To celebrate the day we accepted creatazoids as a part of our society."

I want to ask more about it but suddenly the gates open. Mom starts to advance so we follow suit.

The building, made of white pearl and marble is beautiful on the inside. There were large statues made of gold and chandeliers that sparkled brilliantly.

I couldn't help but find my self staring, trying to process it all.

"This is a school?! I thought that they were supposed to look like prison but worse!" I hear Asher say, incredulously.

"Yeah, I know. Hard to believe it." Says mom. "Did you know that the school was created only 30 years ago? I didn't go here but I heard it's the best school around, so I'm signing you two up!"

"What?!"

"Asher, sweetie calm down."

"What do you mean, calm down?! We don't know any of that weird swirly thing you guys use!" He whisper yells.

"Hey, Asher. It's gonna be okay. Just... we'll figure it out..." I say doing my best to try to get him back to his senses.

"What do you mean we'll figure it out?! Do you know how to read?!" He points his finger to a sign I definitely missed the first time around.

Trials are on the 25th October at 1:00 pm. Sign ups are whenever before!

"TODAY'S THE 20th!!!"

...

"Mom, did you think this through right? We don't know any magic." I say.

"Yes, but I can teach you the basics, and also that's the point of the school, you don't start learning magic until you're in middle school."

"... oh. Technically we're too young for this because we're in 6th grade." Asher says suddenly much more calm.

"Yes, well that's fine, right?" Mom says. "You will be tested for your math, your English, and your celstian."

"What is celstian?" I ask.

"How well you can chant out spells. Obviously you won't be using those spells yet but they just need you to pronounce." Mom replies.

"Ok. When does training start?"

"Right after we sign you up."

Asher:

We stand outside the principal's office waiting for mom to finish the sign ups.

"So... are you ready? I sure as hell am not." I say, not noticing that I'm playing with my hair.

"Nope. I know I'll fail in math and we all know you'll fail in English."

"Hey, I'm not that bad at English!" I cry, indignation clear in my tone.

"Says the guy who can barely spell establishment correctly" She says, looking at me as if to egg on my annoyance.

"That's a hard word." I say "and that's not the point I'm sure I'm better at English then half the people here. My point is the celstian."

"You pronounced it wrong." Oh my god, she's going into grammar shark mode.

"You don't even know how to pronounce it."

"Yes I do, I heard mom say it. It's pronounced ch-el-sh-tee-in, not ss-el-ss-tee-in."

"Oh, shut up." I completely lose my thread of conversation, and we sit in silence again. Thanks, Iris!

Mom walks out gives us a smile and we head home.

Once at home, mom throws us each a packet of math and English for us to revise and sends us to the living room.

Surprisingly, English is not so bad. And for the first time in forever, I spelt establishment correctly. Take that, Iris.

I demolish math though, obviously. I shoot a quick glance at Iris who is still struggling with her situational problem, much to my sick amusement.

I stare for a few more seconds before finally speaking up.

"Need help?"

"No." She replies, almost immediately.

"Of course you do. What's your question?" I lean over, scanning the page mindlessly.

"I don't know how to convert money."

I look at the question, it's asking about dollars and euros, but that isn't what the problem is looking for.

I explain it to Iris, and she makes an o shape with her mouth in realization.

When Iris finally finished the little packet, an entire century has passed.

Nah I'm just kidding.
It did seem like forever though...

Well, when Iris finishes the packet and hands it in, mom drags us to the backyard.

"Mom why are we here?" She asks, looking up at mom in more than just a little confusion.

"Because we need an open space." ...Mom, we're gonna need more than that. Sadly she doesn't elaborate, and I'm left standing there, on a patch of mud, confused.

"That makes no sense." I say, ogling her to check her reaction.

"You'll see."