Chapter 7: Sister

Sakura was awoken by a small ticking sensation on her cheek. She turned and opened her eyes to be met with the beady eyes of a capybara.

"Good morning, Ichiban," she muttered as she petted the small animal. She knew she shouldn't pamper the animal who killed her grandfather, but she couldn't help it. He freed her from her hell. Him and Tiamat.

It had only been a day since Sakura was whisked away from her home, but she felt more safe than she had in months. Tiamat was the exact opposite of Zouken. She was kind and loving. Even though she had just met Sakura, she loved and treated her like she loved Shirou.

"Mama doesn't choose favorites," Tiamat had said. Sakura still had to get used to the floating woman and her large horns, but after the pit, she was willing to do anything.

Those words meant a lot to Sakura. Tiamat already saw her as her child. Not someone she saved or an unfortunate little girl. Sakura was Tiamat's child, and she wouldn't have it any other way.

Speaking of Shirou, the boy was nice. He was helpful in showing Sakura around the house and was a joy to be around. Despite his upbeat personality, Sakura was able to recognize a familiar hollow feeling behind his smile. She saw that look in her eyes whenever she looked in the mirror. Something bad must have happened to him.

"My child, are you awake?" Sakura heard a knock on her door.

"I-I'm awake," Sakura replied. She brought her arms and knees closer to her as the door opened.

"Good morning, Sakura," Tiamat had a reassuring smile on her face. Something about Tiamat's demeanor made Sakura feel safe. She couldn't place what it was, though. "Shirou has prepared breakfast for us. Would you like to join us?"

Sakura hesitated. She had dinner with the two the previous night and the dynamic was almost jarring for her. It was so... positive. Dinner with the Matous was a silent affair. Both Sakura and Shinji were too afraid to speak in Zouken's presence. That is if Sakura even got to eat.

"It's okay to say no," Tiamat's voice snapped Sakura from her thoughts. "Take you time to heal."

"Thank you," Sakura nodded and forced a smile. Tiamat's smile seemed to waver as she closed the door. Sakura looked down at her blanket. Did she disappoint Tiamat? She didn't want to let down the one who saved her. Should she swallow her fears and go? As she started to make her way out of the bed, she heard a knock on the door.

"Sakura?" It was Shirou this time. He opened the door and walked in with a plate of omurice. "Mama won't tell me what happened, but she said you needed time. You should still eat, though."

"Thank you," Sakura muttered as Shirou placed the food on the nightstand beside the bed.

"Mama and I are going to get me enrolled in school later. She told me that you can come if you want," Shirou said before turning.

"Wait," Sakura raised her voice ever so slightly as Shirou made his way to the door. He stopped and turned. "Did... did I do something to make Tiamat mad?"

"I don't think so?" Shirou tilted his head. "The only time I saw Mama mad was yesterday before she went to rescue you."

"I see... thank you," Sakura muttered.

"You're welcome!" Shirou chirped, oblivious to Sakura's inner torment as he left.

"Why do I keep causing trouble...?" Sakura whispered as she placed her head on her knees.

-

Rin heaved a sigh. Kirei said she was going to be here with her new books at 10 am, but it was noon and he still hadn't shown up. He was always like this. Trying to find any way to be an inconvenience in her life.