9. packing a punch

Poll Results:

Winner: Go to Brog

Winner: Go to Brog

Window appeared spontaneously in the middle of the temple library where Dan was pouring through a pile of books. Although it could download information directly into Dan's brain, the finer details of the world were left to the extra himself to puzzle out.

[DAN, THE READERS HAVE DECIDED THAT YOUR NEXT DESTINATION IS BROG,] Window announced.

"Oh, all right." The latter didn't even look up from his page.

[...ARE YOU NOT GOING TO PACK? YOU'LL BE LEAVING JOKOSKIA TOMORROW.]

"I think I've got bigger problems to deal with at the moment."

[?] Curious, Window focused its camera on the book in Dan's hands, analyzing its text before coming up with a title from its database. [FUNDAMENTALS OF LIGHT MAGIC?]

"Mhm, I'm teaching myself how to use my powers properly."

[FOR A SAINTESS, THAT SHOULD COME NATURALLY.]

"Yeah, well..."

The story went like this: after receiving the triple blessings of the Goddess, Jokoskia's people were eager to see Dan's ability in practice. To put it in simple terms, they wanted him to work. Blessing fields, protecting children, overseeing marriages, etc. were just some of the requests that flooded the temple in the next few days. Of course it was physically impossible for one Saintess to look after every single soul—and most of these requests were originally jobs of the temple anyways—so the head priest firmly rejected all private appeals until further notice.

Instead, he directed Dan to the wheatfields bordering the outskirts of the city, responsible for feeding its populace throughout the winter, and humbly asked him to increase its bounty for the harvest season. An unfortunate drought earlier in the year had stunted its growth, creating possible shortages. What's more, wild beasts from the western regions had moved in to pilfer the grains, driven there by predators who periodically migrated further inland whenever the sea beast tides attacked. Although Brog bore the brunt of their invasion, their effects were felt coastal-wide down the western half of Aleria.