11. window of opportunity

A/N: Sorry for the delay, it's sign-up season for BL Palace's 2023 Winter Anthology on ScribbleHub AND Secret Santa for a fandom I write for so I've been distracted with those instead. But let's go! (Also new author avatar for fun yay)

P.S. Anthology link is here for those who are interested: https://www.scribblehub.com/read/217122-boys-love-newsletter/chapter/880389/

As soon as the carriage stopped, Ivan was pushing open the door and running straight to the beach. Stefan followed him, and figuring he should see what was the matter, Dan did as well, with Jonathon bringing up the rear.

So it happened that they formed a line of four people running in a hurry across the chilly seashore sands.

"I greet Your Majesty!" Ivan exclaimed as soon as he reached the man before falling on his knees in a bow. "We were just on our way to the estate."

By the time Dan and the rest caught up, the king had gestured for Ivan to stand up and was sweeping his gaze across the rest of the party. He didn't say anything, but there was a growing crease between his eyebrows as he focused on Dan, who put on his best iceberg face as he endured the staring.

"Ah, Your Majesty, this is Saintess Dan—"

"Why did you bring him here?"

At last the blue-eyed royal spoke. His voice, thought Dan, was no different from the frosty environment around them: strangely beautiful but unmistakably cold. A stray thought rose in his mind: did King Gravensleuth not ask for me?

Ivan's face paled. "That is, the nobles thought it expedient to seek his aid—"

"Who gave them the authority?"

"T-the Duke Gravensleuth, Your Majesty..."

"My brother?" the king was still staring at Dan, who could practically feel his expression chill by another 10 degrees. He thought of averting his gaze, but the noble suddenly covered his mouth and doubled over with a wet cough. Ivan was in front of him in an instant, but Dan still caught a flash of red before smelling the scent of rust in the air.

Blood.

And then Ivan was suddenly calling for the guards, who rushed over to assist the king to the carriage, before the whole retinue was setting off to the summer estate again.

Still, Dan thought anxiously once the horses began to move, why did they leave him to me?

Inside the carriage, Ivan, Stefan, and Jonathon had all squeezed into one seat, while Dan was sitting on the other with the unconscious king from the sea lying with his head on his lap. The situation had been delicate: the chancellor lacked the noble status to be a living pillow, the prince was too young, and Jonathon just an acolyte of the temple. But there would be no problems if the Saintess of the land touched the king!

Moreover, as a being blessed with naturally high amounts of Light magic, he harmonized with all life around him. This was proven by the fact that the king had started breathing easier right after sleeping on Dan, even though he hadn't tried any of his usual healing attacks on the man.

There were traces of dry bloodstains on the man's collar and neck, as well as the chancellor's sleeve from trying to help his liege. But his face had been cleaned up, and Dan could now pay back all the staring he got by studying the guy as much as he wanted. Well...maybe not too much, since the group across from him were also watching them.

"What happened to His Majesty?" Dan asked Ivan. "I thought you said he's strong?"

"His Majesty is without a doubt, formidable," Ivan replied as soon as he checked that the king was still unconscious. "But he is still human, no matter what he would have his subjects believe. It's possible he pushed himself too hard again."