Redemption

Rosalie's POV:

Sitting around a fire inside of a mountain with shape shifters is the last thing I ever expected to happen in my existence. I think to myself while I listen to everyone discuss how to deal with the Volturi. These people look like animals, even in their human form. Twigs dangle from their unbrushed hair and dirt smudges all of their faces except for Evie's. She managed to take a proper bath at Victoria's cabin. I could never imagine living in the wild. Victoria would fit right in with these people. When I first met her on the baseball field, she was... dirty. She wore clothes that she scavenged from one of her kills. I still remember the shirt she wore that smelled of Waylon Forge after she and her little clan murdered him. How Bella could ever find love in someone so treacherous is beyond me. That being said, I've kept an eye on Victoria since we've been back in Forks, and she seems different. Not that I knew much about her before, but she is clean now. She wears gothic designer clothing that looks new, and I bet Alice has something to do with that.

Victoria's eyes were yellow before she drained the Volturi's venom from Evie which means she has switched to the vegetarian lifestyle. Maybe I'm wrong to judge her. Bella has clearly turned this four-century old vampire into an astounding moral being. I can tell that Victoria has rubbed off on Bella as well. She stands up for herself now. Bella speaks her mind instead of hiding in the corner like a frightened little mouse. Not to mention watching her punch Edward so hard that it sent him flying kind of scared me. Not that I blame her, he deserved it for trying to manipulate her. But seeing her newborn strength and new powers in action makes me realize that I never want to go up against her in battle. Bella could easily rip me in half. I'd never reveal my new fear to her of course.

While I sit here judging these people, I think about how selfish I am. They are offering me the opportunity to have the life I've always wanted, but all I can think about is their image. Having the ability of beauty has made me vain. If they make me human again, I can't act like this. I realize I'll be leaving all of this beauty behind. I'll age and wither away into a saggy bag of wrinkles and age spots. I'm willing to accept that though at the thought of having a family and finally being able to sleep again. Other than beauty and revenge, I was never meant for this world. I was meant to have babies and be a mother. I was meant to add another generation to my family. What I would give to be surrounded by my children and grandchildren with Emmett at my side...

"So, this Carlisle. He can reach out to the leaders of the red eyed demons and discuss a truce with them?" Otso asks, breaking me away from my thoughts.

"Yes, but they're not so much leaders as they are the law of our kind. They keep order so that we don't make spectacles of ourselves to humans and risk being exposed." Emmett responds.

"Are you sure Carlisle will do this for us?" Jen speaks up. The light from the fire dances across her pale face, highlighting her deep blue eyes. Her long dirty hair draped over her shoulder in a braid like Evie's.

"Yes, I spoke to him myself and he and his family has offered to help us in any way possible." Evie speaks up.

"Give us a moment to discuss all of this over. Oh, wait. Look who I'm asking, you would just hear us." Otso says, chuckling. He seems like a nice man, the protector of his pack. I'll never get to meet Malakai, but Otso seems like he will be a good leader. The shapeshifters all glance at each other in a meaningful way. They remain quiet for a moment.

"What are they doing?" Bella whispers to Victoria.

"Oh, did I forget to mention this?" Evie says with a mischievous smile on her face. "We can communicate with each other telepathically when in our human form."

"Yes, just give the demons all of our secrets." Jack shakes his head, annoyed. They go back to their silent meaningful staring.

"So, are you still okay with what we decided? I don't want you to feel like I'm forcing this decision on you." I whisper to Emmett.