Chapter 5

CW: Attempted assault

Over time, Delilah learned to adjust to the situation. She spent her days doing things she liked, passing the time until it was night again. Watching her favorite TV shows, reading, or listening to music. She started learning for her exams again, although she didn't know if she could even attend her university when the semester started.

Since the situation in her town went downhill, she dreaded going out. There were curfews at night, but even during the day, it was rather unpleasant to wander the streets alone. Her house was in a rich part of town, but with the situation going on, she knew none of her neighbors. Most houses were abandoned already, no one wanted to stay while the riots were going on. Some houses were still lived in, gnarly looking men walking in and out of them at night. Not exactly the company she wanted for a shopping trip or a short walk.

Her empty fridge reminded her of the fact that she'd have to get groceries sooner or later. Maybe sooner, if she didn't want to starve. But getting groceries meant leaving the house. So she got ready, nervously fidgeting with her keys as she made her way to her car.

On the short drive to the store, she saw a lot of soldiers, but none of them was Ghost. A tiny part of her hoped to meet him, hoped that he could keep her safe out there. The riots seemed to drive the people in town crazy. As if their common sense had long left, leaving room for them to live out their Mad Max fantasies. The men were aggressive. Rude, and overly touchy. For them, there were no more rules. In their newfound anarchy, they could just take whatever they wanted.

She parked her car close to the store, checking her surroundings before leaving the car and hushing inside. Eyes were on her the second she entered the building. She tried to calm herself down, picking up anything that she could need for the next 2 or 3 weeks. Trying her best to be quick, but not so quick that the others could sense her fear. After paying for her groceries, she made the beeline back to her car.

Not fast enough.

One of the men from the store had followed her. He grabbed her arm, trying to drag her closer to him. Somehow, she was quick enough to wrangle herself out of his tight grip.

Shaking hands gripped her groceries, running towards her car. Leaving the parking lot with screeching tires, driving back towards the safety her house provided. Back home, she sat down on her couch, trying to distract herself with a re-run of her favorite show. The spot on her arm where the man had grabbed her burned; as if his disgusting fingers were still on her.

Ghost probably wouldn't come tonight, but God, was she praying for it. She felt even lonelier than usual, a dark bruise already forming on her arm. A stern reminder of what could have happened if she hadn't managed to get away so quickly. At night, she was cuddled up in her blanket. Like it was some substitute of Ghosts touch, for the way he always made her feel so safe.

She contemplated going outside, talking to him, but decided against it. Little did she know that it wasn't necessary. He could sense everything she felt, like there was an invisible bond connecting them.

Ghost battled with himself that night. Should he go inside or not? His mind was telling him no, but his heart- his heart told another story. He could feel that something was wrong, that something had happened, and that she needed him more than ever. A decision had been made as he started walking towards her house, quiet and careful, not wanting to startle her. She was already asleep when he entered her bedroom. Still, her unconscious body felt his presence.

"Ghost?" she mumbled, still half asleep. He moved towards her, trying to make as little noise as possible as he sat down on the floor, his back resting against her bed.

He didn't want to invade the privacy of her bed. Not now, not with her being so vulnerable. She was so sleepy, no space for consideration as she got out of bed, sitting down next to him on the floor. Her head leaned against his muscular shoulder for a while, before her body slid down a little lower, until her head was resting in his lap, cuddled up against him like a small kitten.

His eyes were filled with concern when he saw her like this. She looked so tiny, so fragile, even more than usual. A big hand came down on her head, softly stroking her hair, when the sleeve of her shirt slipped up a little. Revealing the big bruise on her arm.

Ghosts body tensed up at the sight. He started examining the bruise, touching it carefully, not wanting to hurt her. A cold rush of anger filled him. Anger at whoever did that to her. Anger at himself for not being there to protect her.

"What happened?" His voice was soft, but she could hear the concern.

"Had to get groceries. Some man tried to grab me. Could run away." She mumbled quietly, cuddling even closer to him. The simple act of retelling what had happened made her stomach twist again.

He let her bury her head closer to him, trying to give her as much comfort as he could. Meanwhile, a mix of anger and fear was flowing through his veins. Images of what could have happened if she hadn't managed to run away tainted his mind.

"It ok, you're safe now," his voice was quiet and calm, like has was telling a child that there were no monsters under the bed.

She could feel the anger in his voice, even if he tried to cover it. Mentally, he already imagined the bullet-ridden body of the man that had touched her. But for now, he tried his best to make her feel safe and protected, couldn't bear the thought of her being all alone in her bed after what had happened.

Even though she was practically sleeping on the floor, her sleep felt more restful than it had felt for the past few months. Ghost stayed. He stayed until the first rays of sunshine started creeping through the curtains, until he had to get back to base. All he wanted to do was stay just a little longer. His strong hands lifted her up, carefully putting her down on her bed, tucking her under her blanket. Stroking over her cheek one last time before he left her house.

When she woke up the next morning, her arm was still tense. She was sad that Ghost was gone, but even more than that, she was thankful that he was there for her the last night. That he had stayed for as long as he could. His actions spoke louder than words. He was there because he wanted to, because she was important to him.

If he hadn't come, knowing what happened to her, he would have never been able to look at himself in the mirror again. It had always been more than lust, even if he tried to bury that thought underneath hours of training, drowning those feelings under countless glasses of whiskey.

Ghost was slowly admitting to something he swore he'd never admit to again. Something that he had denied himself for so long. He was afraid of what could happen if his principles came in conflict with his feelings. One day, he would have to make a decision. But that was a war that could be fought another day. Until then, his nightly routine would remain. Making sure to give Captain Price enough information that he'd keep him stationed there. Allowing Ghost to be at her house every night, keeping her safe.