1: Live Forever - Part 4

July 25, 1995

It was McDonald's this week. They had passed one last week as they were making their way to a nearby park and he'd commented absently that he'd never had it. Hermione insisted that they would remedy that important life omission on her next visit.

She had suggested he try a Big Mac knowing how much he disliked ketchup...another casual comment he had made a long time ago that she never forgot. It was good...the special sauce was different and nothing at all like the tomato sauce he despised.

"Professor McGonagall stopped by yesterday," she began.

Harry whistled in acknowledgement. "They're pulling out the big guns now," he joked, drawing a laugh from Hermione as she dipped her fry in mayonnaise. He knew she liked ketchup on sandwiches but not on chips.

"She told me that you would most likely be going to the super secret place soon and suggested I go there and wait for you to arrive. When I refused she insisted that I stop visiting you. When that didn't work she tried convincing my parents."

He must have looked supremely annoyed because Hermione's expression immediately softened and she placed a calming hand on his arm. "They told her off and sent her on her way, Harry. I've told them a bit about your relatives and what you've had to put up with–

Oh don't give me that look," she admonished at his frown, "you have nothing to be embarrassed about. I swear Mum is ready to adopt you at this point.

Anyway...they told her who I choose to visit during the summer was none of her business and that they'd never seen me so-"

Whatever she was about to say must have been embarrassing because her face reddened and her food suddenly became very fascinating. He had an idea what she was about to admit...at least he hoped so.

"It's been the best summer I can remember," he mumbled as he idly stared at the sesame seeds on his sandwich.

July 31, 1995

They'd revised their schedule and met on Monday in honor of Harry's birthday. To his surprise Hermione wasn't alone at the station as her parents had insisted on coming along. They'd gone to a chain restaurant that Hermione's father had picked out solely based on the embarrassing song the wait staff performed for any unfortunate customer dumb enough to show up on their birthday. It was awful and he hated being the center of attention. It was also, by far, the best birthday meal he'd ever had.

It became clear that the Grangers were using his birthday as a way to help out with his abominable wardrobe without embarrassing him. It was nothing fancy...a few jumpers...a few pairs of jeans...even some underwear and socks. No shoes though...they'd already helped out with those. He realized he must have looked particularly pathetic when he started opening the multiple presents as Hermione and her mother seemed to be having a contest to see who could pretend not to cry the best. They were both very bad at it but he appreciated the effort.

He'd had such a good time he had temporarily forgotten about where he had to return to that night. What he needed to do was truly embarrassing but there was nothing for it. He refused to let Hermione and her parents' generosity go to waste. Instead of being dropped off at Privet Drive he directed them to the nearby park. As Hermione's father opened the boot to take out Harry's presents he stopped him.

"Would it be okay if you took my gifts with you tonight and let Hermione give them back to me at Hogwarts?" he asked quietly so only Mr. Granger could hear. "I know it's mental but my relatives get angry about the dumbest things. If they see me wearing all new clothes it will just lead to problems."

The explanation sounded so stupid coming out of his mouth but Mr. Granger didn't act like it was stupid. He just nodded and pulled out one box before closing the boot back up.

"You'll never hear the end of it if you don't start using the planner Hermione bought you as soon as humanly possible," he joked as he handed it over. "Thanks for letting us spend your birthday with you, son."

Harry felt like he should hug the man...he thought he wanted to...but he wasn't sure if he was supposed to. He settled for a nod and mumbled "Thank you, Mr. Granger."

He watched him get back in the car and mutter something to Mrs. Granger...most likely relaying Harry's idiotic request. He imagined Mrs. Granger was glaring like Hermione did when she was angry.

As he stared at the planner he heard a car door opening and Hermione was quickly back by his side. "Dad said they would wait here while I walked you back. It's only a couple of blocks, right?"

Harry nodded and grabbed her hand. He'd wanted to do it for awhile but had been scared she'd laugh at him if he tried...which was stupid because Hermione would never laugh at him. He'd done some truly idiotic things over the years and she never laughed.

Apparently she didn't mind as she seemed to be doing her best to walk as close to him as possible...much closer than normal. Harry found that the slower he walked the easier it was to stay close to Hermione.

As #4 came into view he stopped. "I should probably go alone the rest of the way. Uncle Vernon will be home from work by now and he'll probably get upset if he sees you."

"I've one more thing to give you," Hermione said quietly as she stood on her tiptoes and kissed him. It didn't last long...they were standing in the middle of the street with her parents waiting a block away after all...but it was brilliant. And if he had any say in the matter it was the first of many.

She grabbed him in a hug and buried her face in his chest. He wasn't positive but he thought she was smelling him. Whatever she was doing it was clearly something enjoyable as she seemed to be trying to burrow in as much as possible.

"I guess I'll see you next Tuesday," she finally mumbled, making no effort to move away.

"Next Tuesday," he repeated, tightening his grip just a bit.

They eventually heard a car horn and reluctantly pulled away from each other. Harry guessed that Mr. Granger was laughing and Mrs. Granger was slapping him on the shoulder for being such an idiot.