5: Acquiesce - Part 2

August 12, 1995

As 12 Thornbrook Lane came into view Minerva girded herself for the terse and skeptical reception she was sure awaited her on the other side. The last time she had visited this home things had not gone well, at all. And the worst part was she had been entirely at fault. Being on the receiving end of a lecture in front of one of her favorite students had been disconcerting and disheartening. She'd done her best over the last few weeks to make up for her poor decisions but knew she had a long way to go, most especially in the minds of the two muggles she would be spending the morning with.

She'd barely had to wait a second after ringing the doorbell before it was opened, revealing Jane Granger. She wasn't smiling but she didn't look particularly angry either. Minerva mused that was the best she could have hoped for all things considered.

"Please come in, Professor," Jane greeted, escorting her to their sitting room where her husband was waiting. He was holding a familiar looking ball.

"Is that a sneakoscope?" she asked.

"Yes," David Granger supplied. "Hermione gave it to us a few Christmases back. She said it would help suss out the untrustworthy sort. Congratulations, it looks like you've passed the test," he complimented as the magical device remained blessedly silent.

So they still didn't trust her despite Bill's assurances. She couldn't blame them she supposed. This was quite an about face from their last discussion less than three weeks prior.

"I would like to apologize for my actions last month, but you can rest assured that we are on the same side. Harry's side," she stated, silently relieved as the sneakoscope sat quietly in David Granger's hand.

"Right," David continued as he stowed the orb in his pocket and stood. "I suppose we should be going," he continued as he placed a nearby carrier on the floor beside her.

"So that's to be my carriage for the morning," she observed.

"Crookshanks has never complained so I reckon it's all right. I hope you don't get car sick," David added as he opened the door and stood back.

"Not at all," she reassured. "But you are right. We should get going. I trust you have the mirror?"

Jane pulled Sirius' gift out of her purse and held it up for her inspection. "I believe we have a thirty minute drive ahead of us?" she asked, drawing two affirming nods.

"Remember, if you sense any danger, just unlatch the cage. It is very unlikely anything will happen but please remain vigilant. If I spot anything suspicious I will do my best to warn you."

She quickly transformed into a cat and sidled into the carrier, unconsciously purring at the blanket they had graciously provided for her to lie down on. All things considered this was not a bad place to relax for a few hours.

After thirty minutes of sitting in the Underground station Minerva was keenly aware that Muggles could be quite loud...and they always seemed to be in such a hurry. She was roused from her musings by the voice of Bill Weasley. "We'll be coming into your stop any moment now. Number Five."

"Here we go," David muttered, "time to look not terrified on Harry's behalf." The train roared into the station and they walked along the platform, quickly finding The Number Five car.

"There he is," Jane mumbled under her breath and they quickly bustled down the aisle. David placed her carrier on the bench beside him and angled it slightly to the right, bringing Harry into view. Despite Harry's best efforts to appear calm, his nervousness was apparent. It was an expression she had seen on his face far too often over the years.