5: Acquiesce - Part 1

Because we need each other, we believe in one another...

July 26, 1995

As she made her way down the winding path and the tiny cottage came into view, Minerva McGonagall girded herself for the slightly humiliating conversation about to happen. The phrases I told you so and took you long enough echoed in her mind.

But as uncomfortable and annoying as the discussion would be she knew it would pale in comparison to the one she'd had a few days prior with the Granger family. Never again, she told herself as she knocked on the slightly smaller than normal door.

"Professor Minnie!" an aged but cheerful elf greeted her before quickly ushering her inside.

"Hello, Ranty. Are you having a nice summer?"

"Oh yes," Ranty replied with a fervent nod as she led her toward a nearby room. "Professor Filly is very quiet and does not make many messes. And he be always listening when Ranty tells him what to do."

"Ahh, Minerva," Filius Flitwick greeted as she entered the room, "normally you schedule your recruiting mission earlier in the summer. I was beginning to worry."

"Albus asked me to speak to you once again before term ended, but I declined," she replied. "Your four previous rejections were enough to chalk you up as a lost cause. I'm actually on a different recruiting mission today. It's to help protect a muggle student and her family."

Filius looked so smug. "Let me guess. It's a matter of grave importance but that's all you can share."

Minerva had no interest in being lectured again. "Several of us have formed a side group of sorts...to protect Hermione Granger and her parents."

Based on his expression it was clear that she'd caught Filius slightly by surprise. "Regardless of whether it is his main group or a side operation I'm not interested in joining anything led by Albus."

"Albus is unaware."

Now she really had his attention.

"You're saying that you have formed a splinter group under Albus' nose? Why?"

"I've already told you why, Filius. It's to protect a student and her family."

"I'm going to need more than that, Minerva," he replied.

This was the point where she would normally begin hemming and hawing and speaking gravely about the need for security and lives being at stake. Based on Filius' disaffected expression it was clearly what he was anticipating.

"Miss Granger has been visiting Mr. Potter over the summer at his muggle home in spite of Albus' instructions not to do so. While Albus is focused on discouraging her visits a few of us are trying to protect Miss Granger and her family should she be detected. Remus Lupin and Bill Weasley have already cast several protective charms on the Granger home and I've volunteered my services as well. I'm hoping you will agree to help with any other protections you think may be helpful."

Filius looked slightly gob smacked and she fought a smirk. He was so used to her obfuscations on behalf of Albus that her forthrightness seemed to be difficult for him to process.

"Who else knows about this?" he eventually asked.

She couldn't wait to tell him the next part. "Remus Lupin and Bill Weasley as I mentioned, two aurors that are also members of the Order, Arthur Weasley, and Harry's godfather, Sirius Black.

Filius let out a mild squeak of surprise and Minerva fought the urge to laugh.

"Sirius never betrayed the Potters...he was framed by Peter Pettigrew," she continued. "He was wrongly convicted and escaped Azkaban in order to track down Pettigrew."