1: Live Forever - Part 5

August 3, 1995

It was two in the morning but Harry was wide awake. He should have known his relatively non-miserable summer had been too good to be true. He'd done everything he'd been instructed to do. He hadn't done anything rash...stayed at home most days and didn't even complain how everyone but Hermione was ignoring him. And look what his efforts had gotten him...attacked by dementors...expelled from school...then not expelled maybe...then condescending and infuriating notes telling him to be a good boy and stay inside...all capped by that cryptic Howler. He was fairly positive it was from Dumbledore. Nobody else would ever be that vague and nonspecific for absolutely no reason.

He absently punched the wall in frustration. In truth he didn't really care to hear from the headmaster any more...he'd had his chance...loads of them...to do the right thing. He just wanted to see Hermione. His Hermione. He wasn't even able to send her a note as Hedwig had been out hunting and his Aunt had refused to let him use the phone.

And then it happened. The rapid and repeated ringing of the doorbell. Harry wasn't quite sure how they were managing it but they simultaneously began knocking loudly on the door as well. He sprinted down the steps...ignoring his Uncle's rantings about his freaky friends not having any common courtesy.

He thrust the door open and was assaulted by a blurry, chestnut haired missile. "You're okay, you're okay, you're okay," she mumbled frantically into his chest.

"It was touch and go for a moment but yeah...I'm okay," he reassured as he inhaled her lavender shampoo, instantly calming. It occurred to him that Hermione may have been onto something with the whole smelling thing.

He heard a throat clearing and noticed a bleary eyed set of parents staring at him.

"We brought chocolate," Mr. Granger informed as he held up the multiple packages of sweets in his hands. "Could you do me a favor and eat some? It was a wrench finding somewhere open this late and I'd like to at least pretend the effort was worth it."

Harry grabbed the piece of chocolate offered over Hermione's shoulder and popped it in his mouth. "Much better," he enthused, drawing an appreciative grin from the man. Between the chocolate, the smell of lavender shampoo, and Hermione, he was now most definitely okay.

"How did you know?" he asked.

"Ron sent a note telling me what happened," she said into his chest.

"Hermione was meant to stay put and wait for further instructions so naturally she woke us up and demanded we drive over here immediately," Mrs. Granger supplied warmly.

Harry noticed that the Grangers attention had been drawn to an area above his shoulder and realized that by some miracle his relatives had remained quiet. He looked back and confirmed that they were indeed standing on the steps and were most definitely silently fuming.

"These are the Grangers," he introduced. "They're dentists."

He felt Hermione chuckle into his chest followed by a muffled "you are such an idiot." She didn't let go.

"Well they are!" he defended before leaning in and speaking so only she could hear. "Thank you for coming."

"Thank you for being okay," she muttered before pulling back. "Now grab your things. You're coming with us." It wasn't a request.

"I'm meant to stay here," he informed half heartedly.

"And Hermione was meant to stay away. You saw how that worked out," Mr. Granger commented.

"What do you want to do?" Hermione's mother asked kindly. He could tell by her tone that she was more than willing to take the risk if he wanted to go with them. He couldn't remember the last time he'd been asked his opinion on something and been properly listened to. Except for Hermione. She always seemed to be the exception.

As much as he wanted to leave he didn't feel comfortable putting these people...this family...at risk. He was all set to gracefully decline the option when he realized how nice it was to suddenly have options. Even if an option wasn't going to be taken it could be leveraged.

He moved beside Mrs. Granger and leaned in, speaking in a whisper. "Could you stay for thirty minutes? I have an idea."

At her curious nod he walked outside to the front porch. Before he could speak he was interrupted by his Uncle.

"It's the middle of the sodding night!" he grumbled. "Do not wake up the neighborhood!"

Harry turned, responding in a loud whisper. "Do you want me out of here or not?"

Once again it appeared that he had said the magic words as his Uncle angrily nodded for him to continue.

He began speaking to the front lawn in a purposely loud voice. "Whoever is spying on me has thirty minutes to take me to the super secret place or I'm leaving with the Grangers."

Within seconds he heard a loud crack. He had no clue what it signified but it was definitely magical. The next thirty minutes were going to be very interesting. He guessed Sirius would find it very amusing and be congratulating him very shortly.

He walked back inside and grabbed the hand of his now smiling girlfriend. It was clear that she was pleased with his cleverness as well.

"If they don't show up your coming with us," she informed as they took a seat on the couch. As the Grangers moved to sit Harry could tell his Uncle was about to explode.

"Thirty more minutes and all your problems go away, Uncle Vernon. Besides, they're dentists."

While Mrs. Granger appeared to be trying to vaporize his relatives with her eyes Mr. Granger looked highly amused. He shot them a wink before addressing his uncle.

"Chocolate?"