Bad Idea!

Ever since he had been a child, Ran loved playing volleyball. He had made his international debut at the VNL in 2021, they were midst 2023 season now.

-

"What are you thinking about?" Kanta had been staring at him wide eyed for minutes. "I think you are weird. Hello? You are missing out on the best and biggest party of this year! Just tell him that you are sick or something, please, Ran, you need to come!"

Once again, Ran shook his head. They had gone over this a thousand times regarding other events before. "I can't, Kanta, I am sorry. There is a match coming up and-" "In four days! It is one practice, just one! Only once, Ran, please~" There it was. The pouting face, the one that could end wars and bring world peace.

"Kanta, I really can't. It's a party, lord, nothing important." The other raised his eyebrows. "It is the party of the year! Everyone from school will be there, the girls from the hallway-" "That is why you are trying to drag me there! You want to-" "I need your support, Ran. Please!"

Defeated, the taller looked away. "When?"

-

Ran couldn't close a single eye that night. The party would take place in two days. Tomorrow was practice, and he somehow had to find an excuse not to attend practice that day.

He knew that no one would allow him to just skip practice, hell, Philippe would probably kill him if he found out and Yuki would be incredibly disappointed.

-

"I have an important doctors appointment tomorrow, and therefore won't be able to attend practice. Sorry about that, coach. It's just- my left elbow has been hurting recently, so I want it checked up on." It almost hurt to see Philippe looking at him with a pitiful expression.

He nodded, then proceeded to pat Ran's shoulder in an assuring manner. "Don't worry. Tell me what he said. See you in two days then, hopefully." Just like that, the coach walked to his changing room and disappeared from Ran's line of sight.

Tomohiro, who had been sitting on the floor near by, stretching, looked up at Ran. The two had been the last to leave. Only the libero and him. "Elbow pain? Really? Couldn't you find a better excuse to skip practice?" Flabbergasted, the younger turned around.

A pair of eyes and raised eyebrows stared back at him. Tomohiro got off from the floor to grab his stuff and head home as well. "It wasn't a lie." Ran lied. Judging by the unimpressed look on the others face, he knew that there was not a single ounce of believe.

He looked up from his phone. Then, coughed into his fist. "It's the twenty-first. Before corona, and before I graduated, the Ri family would usually host a huge party exactly on that day. But I am assuming you don't know anything about that, do you?" There was a smile on Tomohiro's face, one that grew bigger when Ran sank his head.

"I didnt want to go there, but Kanta really wants to go and kind of convinced me. I am gonna skip it, I am sorry for thinking about-" "What, no! You need to go, it's like the party of the year! Everyone is going there! Ran, you missed out on your teenage years, kind of, because of the virus and all that practice. Enjoy the party life now that you are able to. I won't tell on you." Still unsure, Ran bowed.

He exited the gym as fast as he could, begging that Tomohiro Yamamoto would hold his promise.

-

It truly was a sight. Bright, flashing, colorful lights lit up the night sky. People that Ran usually only occasionally spotted on the hallway, some that he had never even laid an eye on before, as well as his friends and teammates. Everyone was there. Gold medalists, Olympic competitors, judoka, gymnasts, and the list just went on.