Chapter 4

𝕾𝖔𝖓𝖌 𝖙𝖔 𝖑𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖊𝖓 𝖙𝖔: 𝕯𝖊𝖏𝖆 𝖁𝖚 𝖇𝖞 𝕺𝖑𝖎𝖛𝖎𝖆 𝕽𝖔𝖉𝖗𝖎𝖌𝖔

***

"I never expected that you would come earlier than what I said in the invitation, Viona," his voice was tantalizing, bathed in the warmth of velvet honey, soaked in a fresh milk's taste, and yet, all I could do was glare at him.

Though he wet the back of my hand with his greeting, I managed to wipe it with a handkerchief I brought with me. We may have had deep talks in the passing days after he went to my household, but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't get disgusted by how he treats ladies.

His eyes were sharper than a pen's edge, and his smile didn't feel like it from the heart, even his small actions, I felt as if I could read them all, especially that sinister look plastered on his face.

Everything about him speaks of danger, like the first time we met in that hall, but one thing that prevented me from avoiding him was that all my life, I've been attracted to danger itself.

That's the one thing I could never understand from myself.

I sighed when he managed to step farther from me and walked towards his curtain.

He stayed there for a few seconds before closing his curtains and I lingered my eyes on him until I raised both of my eyebrows.

"What is the meaning of this Vaxius?"

"Do you even trust me, Viona?" He asked while he continued to come towards me.

"What----" Before I could even finish my words, he slipped into me, and both of his hands were already on the sides of the table where I managed to stumble my back.

I gasped but he only leaned on my ears, as he whispered.

"Can we stay like this for a second?"

"What is really happening?"

"Just trust me, all right?"

"How could I even trust someone who wouldn't explain what is going on?!"

"Shhh," instead, he used his other hand to silence my lips but I felt the coldness from them instead of the usual warmth that his hands would have on mine. When I thought about it, I could even feel his warm breath cascading from my neck to my cheeks.

It was fresh and minty to the point of colliding with his forest woodland scent, an expensive perfume only for the imperial household, and yet, why do I even feel intoxicated by it?

Shaking my head, I decided to push him away but he managed to halt my actions with his following words.

"In this imperial household, my father and brother sent their spies to my place," like we were usually talking earlier, he managed to whisper those words, and this was the first time I could feel my ears heat up with someone other than Klein.

I didn't even pay attention to what aroma was in his room but when he said those words, something felt off.

"Are you even using some incense?" I asked. I could see how he leaned his head back with his eyebrows meeting together.

"How do you know that?"

"Your room feels weird, and the incense doesn't smell right, who gave you that?" I asked. I could see how his eyes thinned for a moment before glaring at where the incense was.

"My brother, the crown prince might have given that"

"Might have? You don't even know who gave you that?"