• 𝐬 𝐢 𝐱 •

I took a slow sip of my coffee, letting the rich, dark roast linger on my tongue

I took a slow sip of my coffee, letting the rich, dark roast linger on my tongue. The flavor was deep and complex, with notes of caramel and toasted nuts. The taste gave me the required jolt of caffeine I needed to start my day sharply focused. It was the perfect accompaniment for my early morning contemplations.

As I'm engrossed in the paper at the business section of 'The Times of India', my phone rings. Glancing at the screen, I saw it was Maa calling.

Taking a deep breath, I answered. "Haan, Maa bolo."

("Yes mother, say?")

"Your father told me about the engagement, Meher." her cheerful voice came through.

"Oh... that. I was about to inform you yesterday but some work came up." I replied, setting the newspaper down.

"Always so pragmatic, just like your father." Maa chuckles. "Well, I saw some of his pictures from the online. I have to say he's quite a handsome guy."

If only she knew what type of person he really is. I thought bitterly.

"Yeah..." I laugh uncomfortably.

Suddenly she starts coughing violently over the phone. The harsh, painful sounds worried me.

"Maa, are you okay? Did you take your meds?" I asked worriedly.

"Oh-cough cough-yes I did, don't worry," she insisted between coughs. "I just choked on my tea."

I just stay silent considering her blatant lie.

"Maa I know you don't drink tea in morning and considering your voice I think you just woke up. So, I know you cannot drink tea on an empty stomach."

When her coughing subsided, I said sternly, "Maa, please don't lie to me. How long have the coughs been this bad?"

In response, I heard a guilty silence from her side.

"Can I ask you a question Maa?"

"What?"

"From when it's occuring?"

"Um... since yesterday I think?" She said sheepishly.

I stand up from my chair. "And you're telling me now?!"

"There's nothing to be worried about Meher, I'm okay now. Just a scratchy throat."

"Alright, that's it." I gesture my chef to stop arranging my breakfast. "I'm coming home to take you for your check up."

"Listen Meher-"

"No. Today, I'm gonna have a one-on-one conversation with Dr. Malhotra about why his medications aren't working." I said when Rani, my chef, perked up.

"Meher, there's nothing to be worried about-" she began but I ended the call. Rani looks at me questioningly and I said, "Cancel breakfast, I'm going to see Maa right away."