Trying his best

Chan looked down at Felix, the boy's brown hair shining in the sun. The baby was curled up on his side next to his brother, fast asleep. Changbin was talking excitedly to Minho, the older trying to finish his melting ice cream cone as they walked home. Hyunjin and Jisung were jumping over the little cracks in the sidewalk, giggling. Seungmin walked behind them, watching with interest at the activitiy that seemed to entertain his brothers so much. 

Chan had been taking care of these seven boys for quite some time now and he loved it. They were his boys. Minho was calm, most of the time. He had a bit of a temper and he loved teasing his brothers but he was a big helper to Chan. The oldest wasn't sure if Minho understood that Chan was on his own in raising them or if Minho was just naturally a helper. It didn't really matter either way. Changbin was protective but he was a big goofball. He knew how to make the babies laugh and he didn't like seeing them upset. He always enjoys cheering his brothers up.

Hyunijn was the creative, sarcastic one. He doesn't really like skin-ship unless he is sick or hurt. He likes being with his brothers but he enjoys his alone time too and often hides in his room. He enjoys drawing and painting so Chan is always replenishing Hyunjin's art supplies. Jisung is one of the sunshine twins. He has a way of brightening up any room and he likes having fun with his brothers. He is sensitive and deals with anxiety so Chan makes sure to keep him out of large crowds. He is very clingy sometimes but he tries to respect when one of his brothers doesn't want to be bothered. He hates yelling and arguing with his brothers. Felix is the other sunshine twin. He enjoys dancing and he's always smiling. If anyone manages to make Felix mad, then there is hell to pay. Everyone is protective of Felix. He makes friends wherever he goes. He's very attentive and knows things that no one thinks he would know. He doesn't talk as much as Jisung and he enjoys listening to people more than he does talking to them. 

Seungmin is quiet and a little strange. Sometimes he's outgoing and sometimes he doesn't want to be bothered. He takes after Minho when it comes to sarcasm. He has no filter and says whatever he thinks most of the time. Seungmin is very protective of Jeongin and no one is allowed to touch 'his baby'. He likes cleaning and hates when his brothers make a mess. Every once in a while, though its rare, he will make a mess and let himself be a kid. His favorite activity is teasing his brothers. Like Hyunjin, he doesn't like skin-ship unless he's sick or hurt. 

Everyone adores Jeongin just like they do with Felix. He likes being the youngest but sometimes doesn't like babied. He is spoiled and enjoys giving it back to his hyungs. Teases his brothers as much as they tease him. Never likes being alone and is always trailing his brothers. His favorite hyungs in ranking order is Seungmin, Felix, Changbin, Jisung, Minho and Hyunjin. He put Hyunjin at the bottom because Hyunjin never leaves him alone. 

"Minho, move away from the street please? Your getting too close" Chan called to the oldest. Minho looked at the street and gently moved Changbin closer to the sidewalk, doing the same for himself. 

"Thank you, baby" Chan appreciated Minho not throwing a fit over being told to do something. Any of the younger boys would have and that was not something that Chan wanted to deal with at the moment. Minho just gave him a thumbs up and shoved the rest of the ice cream into his mouth, swallowing it in one bite. Chan just shook his head at that and decided not to say anything. 

"Can we get fast food?" Hyunjin stopped jumping over the cracks and turned back to Chan.

"You just had ice cream so no. I already have dinner made at home" Chan shook his head.

"But-" Jisung went to plead with Chan and give him the puppy eyes.

"No. Keep walking" Chan repeated. Jisung grabbed Hyunjin's hand and they went back to jumping over the cracks. Seungmin tried to do the same but he just ended up falling and sat there for a moment. Hyunjin noticed and let go of Jisung, helping Seungmin up. 

"Here Minnie, do it with us" Hyunjin jumped slowly and Seungmin did the same. Chan watched them, feeling proud of Hyunjin for including Seungmin in the activity. 

"Minho, take the boys inside and wash your hands for dinner" Chan unbuckled Jeongin and Felix, taking them out of the stroller and setting them in the playpen that he had in the living room for the boys. They went back to sleep, clinging to each other. Seungmin was the first one downstairs and went to Chan, putting his hands up. 

"Good boy. Go sit" Chan ruffled his hair.

"No carry?" Felix pouted. Chan shook his head, picking up Felix and carrying him to the table.

"Hey! I want to be carried too!" Jisung pouted. Once Chan had Jisung in his arms, Hyunjn wanted to be carried too and then so did Changbin. Minho watched Chan, looking envious of his brothers but when his hyung offered to let the oldest kid ride on Chan's back, Minho just shook his head and walked slowly to the table, taking his seat on the opposite end from Chan's seat. The oldest made sure to spend some time with his oldest kid later on, when everyone else was asleep. And that was exactly what he did. After getting Changbin, Hyunjin, Jisung, Felix, Seungmin and Jeongin settled in bed and he was confident that they were all asleep, there was still thirty minutes before Minho went to bed and Chan took this opportunity to bond with his oldest dongsaeng.

"How was your day today?" Chan sat down on Minho's bed, listening intently to anything the kid was going to say.

"It was good. Are you feeling okay?" Minho just gave him a weird look.

"Yeah. I just wanted to know how your day was" Chan nodded, a little confused why Minho was being so cold.

"Why? You never ask me that" Minho pointed out, making Chan feel like a piece of shit. 

"Yeah, I do spend more time focused on the younger ones. I don't mean to but they do need me slightly more. You do know that if you ever need anything, even if its just a hug, you can come to me. You know that right?" Chan explained.

"Yeah of course" Minho nodded, focusing on his game. He was lying. Chan felt his heart break. Had he really been so focused on the younger kids that he had neglected to make sure that his oldest was feeling loved and secure?

"I'm going to do better to make sure that I spend time with you" Chan decided.

"Don't bother. I know your busy with work and taking care of us. The little ones need you more than I do" Minho declined.

"I'm serious, Minho. I'm not going to neglect you anymore. You are still a kid and I promised to do my best for all the kids, that includes you too" Chan insisted.

"I'm not a little kid" Minho argued.

"Your six" Chan pointed out, knowing that he had won the argument when Minho glared at him fora long time and then turned back to his tablet.

"Do you want to do anything?" Chan wondered, desperate to spend some time with Minho.

"I want to be left alone" Was the only response. Chan sighed, a little sad, and got up. Minho seemed to realize that he had been overly harsh and he backtracked a little.

"I didn't mean it like that! I was joking" Minho insisted. Chan knew he was lying but part of him still believed Minho was being honest and actually wanted to spend time with his only hyung. Thirty minutes later, Minho was asleep on Chan's arm, not a single care in the world. For the first time in what was probably forever, he actually looked like a six year old. Chan stood up with his dongsaeng in his arms and carried Minho to bed, tucking him in and then checking on the other boys as well. He ended once again in Minho and Changbing's room and found the cutest sight ever. Minho was cuddling a wolf toy close to him, one hand kind of close to his mouth like he had been considering putting his thumb in his mouth, the way he had as a kid, but then decided not to. 

_________________________________________
Minho-6
Changbin-5
Hyunjin-4
Jisung-3
Felix-3
Seungmin-2
Jeongin-1