Chapter 8

She lay watching silently. She had been put to bed well over an hour ago after she had eaten, yet sleep was elusive.

"You're supposed to be sleeping," Damon spoke out in a whisper from his spot by the large window in his bedroom. He stood with the moonlight bathing him as he held his newborn snuggly against his chest with his nose and mouth buried in her hair.

"Yeah, well, I guess I was more hungry than I was sleepy," Bonnie whispered back. "You know, she's only a few hours old and you're already spoiling her. She doesn't have to be held so much."

"Oh, this is just practice. You ain't seen nothing yet," Damon replied with a smirk and a wink, and then he placed a gentle kiss atop Bella's head.

"Well, you bought her this beautiful bassinet," Bonnie pointed to the large mahogany based bassinet which was nestled in the corner closest to the bed.

"No, that was some old dusty thing Stefan brought down from the attic," He corrected with a mildly disgusted look on his face as he turned and regarded the furnishing.

"It doesn't matter it's still beautiful and It would be such a shame for it to go to waste."

"That bassinet has seen plenty of babies, me, Stefan, and our father before us, which now that I think about it, Bella's too good for it. I'll buy her a brand new one tomorrow."

"Fine, then bring her to me and she can sleep in the bed with me. We definitely won't have to worry about me rolling on top of her or her rolling off the side in this bed," Bonnie said making reference to just how huge Damon's monstrosity of a bed was.

"No, especially not with both of us on either side of her," Damon stated as he moved to the bed. Bonnie averted her eyes a bit at his words as he moved around to the side of the bed where she lay.

"Damon, I don't think us sharing a bed is a good idea," He simply arched a brow at her as he settled on the bedside and carefully handed her Bella.

"What ... you thought I was just being chivalrous giving you my bedroom? You're here Bon because I want you and Bella close to me," He stated as he watched his sleeping child nuzzle against her mother's bosom obviously searching for a nipple to latch onto. Bonnie obliged her as she slid down the strap of the white satin nightgown she now wore, and unabashedly exposed her breast, which Bella quickly honed in on and began to suckle. Damon stared entranced. He watched with a look of awe and envy on his face. His eyes snapped to Bonnie's face when he heard her slightly wince. "What's wrong?" He asked as he brows bunched up and concern slid across his face.

"She's a biter," She began to explain and went into further details due to the confused look on Damon's face. "It seems that our little one still has a taste for blood, or maybe she just needs it, I don't know, but she's got little fangs which are buried in my breast right now."

"Are you okay?" Damon asked suddenly feeling amazed and helpless by what Bonnie had told him.

"Yeah, it only lasts a few seconds, ah," Bonnie winced again at feeling Bella's fangs retract. "See, looks like she's had her fill with blood already," She announced as she leaned down and kissed the top of her baby's head and slowly began to rock her.

"You're very calm about it," Damon voiced his observations.

"Well, considering how I craved so much blood when she was inside of me I'm not too surprised that she would still need it. She is half vampire after all," Damon nodded her words calmed him a bit. In fact, he had already thought that this may happen but was actually surprised and pleased by how well Bonnie was taking it all in. "If she needs my blood then I'm not going to deny her. I honestly don't think I could ever deny her anything," Bonnie declared as she stared down at Bella lovingly. "But I'm hoping that your blood will be nourishing too because I don't think I can handle it alone," She added and Damon nodded at her words. "I'm just really going to need you to be here...for her I mean. I can help her with the magical side of who she is, but the vampire side is something you'll have to take the lead on because it seems vampire Bonnie is no more. I'm no longer craving blood, no more bumpies, strength, or any other of the neat vampire perks"