Chapter 9

Neither of them had been completely surprised when their journey ended at one of the sleaziest bars in the roughest part of town. When they made their way into the smoke-filled room they immediately spotted their target seated at the bar with a glass of bourbon in his hand. They trekked to the bar casually pushing through the crowd which was a mix of bikers and college kids.

"Are you kidding me?" Alaric was the first to speak as he and Stefan stood just at Damon's back. His frustration was evident in his voice and demeanor. "You run out on Elena to go get drunk?"

"No," Damon replied calmly as he lifted the brown liquid and stared at it through the glass. "I haven't taken one sip yet," He then shrugged slightly and sat the full glass back atop the bar.

"What the hell is wrong with you? Elena is awake. You remember Elena, you know the woman you have proclaimed for years as being the love of your life? She needs you right now, and you run out on her," Alaric continued his tirade as Stefan looked on with a scowl of disapproval at Alaric's approach. He knew this wasn't the right way to try and reach Damon when he was in his current state. It was obvious to Stefan that his older brother was in turmoil, that he was in a mood of self-loathing, self-pitying, and more importantly that he was scared, no, he was absolutely terrified. A terrified Damon Salvatore was not someone to rile up or piss off. "After everything that she's been through-" The snapping sound of glass being crushed under pressure ended Alaric's words. Damon slammed his bloodied fist onto the bar as he swirled a bit in his seat and glared at Alaric. Stefan quickly stepped in between the two men.

"Alaric, here," He reached into his pocket and pulled out his car keys and then handed them to Alaric. "Take my car and go back to the boarding house. Damon and I will return soon," Alaric relented as he snatched the keys from Stefan's hand. He tossed a disgusted look at Damon, shook his head, and made his exit. Stefan took the stool next to his brother. "Barkeep," He called out to the man that looked way too soft to be working in such a bar. The meek man made his way over not looking a bit bothered by Damon who sat spilling blood on the bar as he pulled shards of glass from his hand. "Could I get two glasses of Bourbon and a towel for my brother here?" The bartender nodded and swiftly poured the requested the drinks and tossed a towel on the bar before moving back to the end of the bar to another patron. "I'm sorry Damon I know this must be hard for you," Stefan said which made Damon toss his head back and laugh out loud.

"Four days," Damon said and Stefan looked over at him with questioning eyes. "It took exactly four days for everything to change."

"Damon, nothing has to change you can still have that perfect life with Elena that you've always talked about," Stefan assured his brother who only arched a brow as he stared down into his glass of bourbon. "Ok, some things have changed you're a father now, but-"

"I'm a father of a baby whose mother is not Elena, but Elena's best friend," Damon added as he finally lifted his glass and took a drink.

"Yeah, due to no fault of your own, or Bonnie's for that matter. Damon, Elena knows what happened and she understands. Sure it'll take some adjusting but you and I both know that she's pretty forgiving when it comes to you, so what's really going on? Why are you so scared to even talk to Elena? She's been through a lot and she needs-"

"Oh, for fuck's sake!" Damon growled out as he slammed his glass onto the bar and then turned to glare at his brother. "You know Elena's not the only one who's been through some shit little brother. Why does it always have to be about what Elena needs or what Elena wants?" He asked and then they sat in silence for a few seconds before Stefan finally replied.

"It doesn't, but 'you've' always made it about Elena; her wants and her needs. Damon, 'you' placed her on that pedestal and put a crown on her head. Why is it such a problem for you now?"