Chapter 11

***** indicates words spoken/ events occurring simultaneously

"And you actually thought that idea would work?" Stefan asked baffled and also slightly amused by the plan that his older brother had concocted.

"I guess I wasn't thinking at the time," Damon replied as he sat with his elbows resting on the kitchen island with his face buried in both hands.

"Obviously,"

"That's right little brother," Damon spoke as he raised his head, swirled on the stool, and gave Stefan, who was seated beside him, his full attention. "Lay it all on me. Tell me how much of an ass I am."

"I can't," Stefan said with a slight pout. "I've already met my 'tell Damon he's an ass' quota for the month," He joked with a small smile and Damon couldn't stop the smile that spread on his own face. "Besides, you already know that you're an ass so why are you letting this time get to you so much? You've done far worse and Elena has always forgiven you."

"But not Bonnie, my little witch is not so forgiving," Damon said as the sense of doom he had been feeling since Bonnie told him 'no' crept upon him once more.

Upstairs

Just five minutes into packing and already Bonnie was becoming flustered as she looked at all of the baby things that were on the bed and scattered around the room. "God, I cannot believe I let Care convince me to get you all of this stuff, babygirl," She spoke aloud into the room where she thought she only had her daughter as company, but when Caroline's voice cut in Bonnie jumped, placed a hand on her chest, and turn towards the door in surprise.

"We didn't buy all of this stuff," She said with her head stuck around the door and her body hidden on the other side. "I've seen Damon bringing in a lot of this, so it's his fault, not mine. And while we're on the subject of blaming Damon for things..." She then pushed the door open further and walked in while tugging Elena behind her. "I think you two need to talk."

"Elena," Bonnie called out to her best friend softly. "I'm so-"

"Don't," Elena cut her off as she snapped her red bloodshot eyes up to meet Bonnie's who in turn bowed her head a bit and locked her eyes down to the floor. "Don't you dare say you're sorry," She continued. "Because 'you' didn't do anything wrong," These words made Bonnie lift her eyes and look at Elena curiously. She then shot her eyes to Caroline who stood next to Elena with her arms across her chest while she beamed like the cat that caught the canary.

"Yes I did, I fell in love with Damon," Bonnie whispered out as if she were genuinely afraid to say it too loudly.

"I agree, that is 'so' wrong," Caroline chimed in with a disgusted look on her face. "And you're both guilty of it. God, where did I go wrong when I was educating you two about boys?" She said as she looked off as if she were lost in memories of the time.

"Caroline," Elena said as she and Bonnie regarded their friend with matching humorous smirks.

"What? I honestly don't know how either one of you could actually love him without being compelled to," She said and a gurgle from the nearby bassinet instantly gained all of her attention. "Oh, there's my goddaughter," She cooed as she walked into the far corner of the room and gave Bonnie and Elena some privacy.

"I don't know what to say other than I'm sorry," Bonnie started and Elena stepped closer to her and grasped her hand. "I still can't believe I even have those kinds of feelings for Damon."

Back downstairs

"I still can't believe that you've finally admitted your feelings for Bonnie," Stefan said and Damon bunched his brows as he turned to regard his brother again. Stefan caught the look on Damon's face. "What? We all knew how you felt, how you 'both' felt about each other, but none of us thought that either of you would ever actually admit to it let alone act on it. Bonnie never would because she's convinced herself that you and Elena are destined to be, which is your fault with all of your, "Elena's my destiny and if it comes down to your life or Elena's I'm always going to choose Elena's. The rest of you can go to hell!" Stefan mimicked and Damon could only close his eyes and inwardly groan at Stefan's true imitation of him. "Also, Bonnie's so loyal and self-sacrificing. She'd bury her feelings for you and carry on like she hated you if she thought it would spare Elena pain," Damon simply nodded at this. "Now, you, on the other hand, you're just stubborn and self-absorbed and selfish," Again Damon only nodded at these very true descriptions. "I was sure you'd never accept your feelings for Bonnie because if you did you'd have to come to the realization that 'maybe' Elena isn't the love of your life as you've always proclaimed, and I knew that would be difficult for you because of Katherine."