The Beginning

Osaki Shotaro

Osaki Shotaro

Starting a new life in a foreign country is scary, as is most things in life.

But Shotaro is excited for the next step in his journey of life. He got accepted into a really good dance agency and he's never been more excited for something in his life.

It's a new experience. A fresh start. It's exactly what he needs.

He stops by the cafe near the dance studio for a cup of coffee to keep his adrenaline up and struggles with the drink names. He really needs to learn the language better.

What Shotaro thought was a quick trip to the coffee shop, turns out to take 30 minutes. It wouldn't have taken that long if the person in front of him didn't spend 5 minutes staring at the menu above them. He tries not to feel impatient but he knows his foot-tapping isn't helping.

He isn't late but he runs towards the studio anyway, which turns out to be bad idea because he runs into a tall figure with jet-black hair and nearly spills coffee over them. The stranger runs before Shotaro can even apologise and he just shrugs.

It doesn't bother him, too happy with other events to care.

The dance studio fills with noise and everyone welcomes him warmly and it makes Shotaro's heart go soft. People shake his head and hug him and for once, Shotaro isn't afraid to let others near him.

He makes friends and learns cool techniques and choreography and it's the best day Shotaro has had in a really long time.

No one walks in the same direction as he does though so he walks back to his rented apartment alone. It doesn't bother him but left to his thoughts, Shotaro wonders how different his life would be if he hadn't left Japan. If he didn't leave his ex girlfriend.

The convenience store under his apartment is empty, save for the guy behind the counter. He gets an energy drink and a roll of kimbap and takes out a few notes to pay. The guy is around his age and strikes a conversation with him.

"Have you heard of Love Talk? It's really popular nowadays. Almost everyone I know in class has it."

"No, I haven't."

"You should definitely get it! Everyone has it and it sounds pretty trustworthy. Which is definitely new for a dating app."

The conversation ends with Shotaro saying he'll consider it and he really does. He searches the app later when he gets home, take a bite of kimbap in his mouth as he reads about it.

The last relationship he was in left with a scar that still hurts when he presses onto it, so he isn't really sure how much he wants to try this.

But he's here in South Korea to live a new life, to start again, he supposes it doesn't hurt to try again.