Chapter 9

(State Lines By Novo Amor)

Julie's Pov

ELEVEN DAYS

"Iris, come say hello to your favorite Aunt!" Eryn yelled as we walked into Sam and Rylee's house.

Noah trailed quickly behind Eryn, as we turned the corner. Iris squealed in happiness.

"Aunt Julie!" Eryn looked back at me and faked offense before rolling her eyes and falling back on the couch. Noah fell right next to her, causing everyone to laugh, and I just smiled.

"She can't be your favorite, she doesn't even speak!" Eryn yelled in offense, before I picked Iris up with a smile.

"I never said she was my favorite, Auntie Eryn."

"Am I your favorite uncle?" Noah asked with a cheeky smile as I put Iris back on the floor. She ran over to him with a smile.

"You are the only uncle I see everyday." She sat on the couch between Eryn and Noah, while I sat down next to Rylee.

"Hey Julie mama, how are you doing?" Rylee gave me a short hug and I smiled.

"That means she's good, Momma." Iris held her thumbs up with a smile.

"I know." Rylee laughed and I felt myself smiling even more at Iris.

"Noah, get away from me." Sam said, pushing him away jokingly.

I looked around my group of friends, feeling forever grateful for these amazing people that held me up as I went through hell. This is my family. My true family.

It doesn't matter if they are blood related to me, these people mean the world to me. I would die for them, I would give up everything to see all of these people happy. They are everything I have, everything I'm known for, everything I've built myself for.

I got up from the couch, and slowly made my way over to the bathroom. I leaned against the sink after locking the door, and I closed my eyes taking a few deep breaths.

Moments like these get hard because I wish I could enjoy them more. I wish I could be capable of letting someone love me. I wish I had my other half, but for some people, that simply just doesn't exist.

***

"Juliana?" The rasp of the old voice made the whole world drown out.

I wasn't prepared for what was about to happen. I should've known.

I spun around quickly facing the tan male in front of me. His eyes, the same piercing brown. His hair, the same fallen dark brown, almost black curls.

I quickly put the cup down, and looked around the empty bar for someone to help me. But the bar wasn't even open yet. I was supposed to open it while Eryn finished up meetings. Now here I am, alone in this bar, with my father standing in front of me.

"I know I'm probably the last person you want to see." I folded my arms, not going to give into any of this anymore.

"Your mom and I miss you."

I so desperately wanted to scream. I wanted to scream about how they've been divorced for over 10 years, but stay in contact to only ruin my brother and I's life.