Chapter 27

(Dial Drunk By Noah Kahan And Post Malone)

Julie's Pov

My hands shook as I sped past someone on the highway. The music played softly which just kept me motivated. I shifted gears before looking in my mirrors and switching lanes. Once I was going at a steady speed I looked at the GPS.

10 Minutes.

My heartbeat out of my chest as I looked at Matteo, whose head laid against the window and was sleeping peacefully. I brought my hand over and tapped him gently. His eyes slowly opened, and he looked at me.

"Are we almost there?" He asked, causing me to nod.

I haven't been able to speak this whole day. I don't know why. Actually I do. It's because of how much my anxiety was eating me alive. My anxiety was tearing me apart as I looked at the GPS. I took the exit off of the highway, and the familiar streets bled into my memory.

"Everything is going to be okay." He mumbled, putting his hand on top of mine as I shifted gears again.

I hummed in response, turning the air conditioning off, and opening the windows. I turned up the radio to drown out the pep talk, because I didn't want it. I didn't know how to tell him I didn't want it without speaking, and I sure as hell didn't want to speak right now.

I parked my car, and sat in it for a few seconds, feeling everything starting to officially hit me like a truck. I looked over at Matteo, who had a giant smile on his face. How can someone be so positive?

I rolled the windows up, I took the key out of the ignition, and got out of the car. I stretched, I've been driving for the past ten hours. Matteo drove the first ten, we stayed overnight in a hotel, and then I drove.

It was a fun car ride, but fuck it was long. It was nice having someone to drive with, but twenty hours in a car with someone makes me want to stream. It all ws exhausting.

"You ready?" He mumbled, grabbing my hand. I tensed as I looked at the building.

I'm going to get in so much trouble.

I opened the door, people were talking and laughing. Matteo held my hand and stood with confidence, which drove me crazy. I'm completely falling apart with anxiety, and he's standing tall with a smile on his face.

I know he's going through it right now, but I also know that he is trying to stay strong for me. He always has been trying to stay strong for me. That's what he does. He does it for me, and it makes me fall even more in love with him.

"You're an idiot! You go off the grid with no explanation, I was worried sick about you!" Eryn softly yelled, pulling my arm into her office. Matteo followed us with a smile on his face.

"What the hell is going on? Julie, I told you I was always here for you. You worried me so much. Then I get a call that you're a thousand miles away?" Eryn rambled, and a soft smile formed on my face.

"I don't understand how you're smiling, it's not funny. I'm your emergency contact! What if something would've happened? I would've been the one to get that call that you were dead somewhere." Her hands slapped down on her sides, and I felt like laughing.

Uh oh, I made Mom mad.

"This shit is not funny." She smiled, looking at me.

"Okay. You're grounded." Noah said from the couch where Matteo now was sitting.

"Yes. Give me your keys." Eryn said, holding her hand out.

"What! You guys are not my parents." I said, before tensing up. I swear you could hear a pin drop.

"What the hell!" Noah jumped up and ran over to me.

"You speak?!" He screamed and I felt the room start to spin.

"Get out of her face, Noah." Eryn pulled him back, and I looked over at Matteo who was standing now with a worried expression on his face.

"Thank you." I whispered, feeling my anxiety crawl up.

"I'm right here." Matteo wrapped his arm around my waist, and I felt myself calm down.

"Are you from Philadelphia?" Noah asked, causing me to roll my eyes.

"I'm from New York." I looked at him and narrowed my eyes, standing up straight.

"You sound like you're from Florida." Noah stated and I looked at him like he was crazy.

"You're stupid." I mumbled under my breath causing Matteo to laugh.

"Oh my god! You're speaking!" Eryn crashed her body into mine, hiding me tightly causing me to smile.

"I think I am." I said jokingly, causing Eryn to laugh.

"I'm so proud of you." She whispered just so I could hear it.

Never in my life did I ever think I would be at this moment. I never thought I would ever be strong enough to speak to someone. Now here I am, having full blown conversations with my friends. I've never been more proud of myself before.

I've been through so much, and yet despite all of the odds, all of the disappointment, I'm still pushing through. I'm still going. I never once gave up on myself, even if everyone else did. I was always there for myself because at the end of the day, that was all I had for a long time.

Eryn pulled away, looking at my face, wiping my tears off of my face. I didn't even notice that I was crying, but I didn't care. I was crying because I was happy. Nobody can ever take my happiness away from me.

The amount of times I let someone take my happiness away from me in the past, it's over. Nobody can control my life anymore, nobody can control my emotions anymore because it is my life.

***

"Hello?" My brother's face came into the frame on my phone.

I bit the inside of my cheek as I looked at Matteo who smiled.

"Hey." I said, and all of the sudden the screen went black.

"Uh? Are you okay?" I asked, as the phone was picked up.

"Shut the fuck up!" He screamed excitedly, causing me to laugh.

"Oh. I guess I'll go back to being mute." I said jokingly before he looked at me like I just robbed him.

"I'm proud of you, Anna."

Me too.

1088 Words