Ch. 7: What A King Is

Mordred POV

So far, I barely understand Archer's reason for wanting the Holy Grail. Iskandar, on the contrary, wants to be reincarnated as a mortal man. Even with how similar I feel about his kingship ideology, it still is pretty absurd. He wants to reincarnate in this modern world. Silly! I can't even imagine Iskandar wearing a Hawaiian shirt while surfing here in Fuyuki Beach. Though, It kind of looks cool.

But for my father, it seems that Iskandar and Archer's reason can't be approved by her way of kingship.

Father has her head held high proudly.

"That is in a manner ill-befitting for a king." Father rebukes Iskandar.

"Ho... is that so? Say, Saber, why don't you tell us about your wish too." Finally, Iskandar speaks his attention to Father. It's about time they ask about that.

Her response—

"I simply want to save my homeland. With the omnipotent wish-granting Holy Grail, I will avert Camelot's fate of destruction."

Father... she still wanted to save her kingdom?

But...

Everyone suddenly lapsed into silence. It was an awkward silence.

I look at Iskandar and Archer's reaction. Iskandar looks dumbfounded and is surprised. Archer has his eyebrow raised and seems to be amused.

'What the hell is happening?' I don't understand what they're thinking.

None voiced dissent or agreement when it was obvious that those words should have been immediately said.

"Hey King of Knights, I might have heard you wrong, but...?" Rider said with a confused tone.

"What do you mean, Rider?" Father said back at him with a confused tone.

"Did you say, You want to change fate? Which means you want to reverse history?" Rider asked.

"Correct. Even if the wish is something that can not be granted through a miracle, if the Holy Grail is truly omnipotent, then surely..."

Archer chuckle. Father turns her gaze towards Archer, confused and furious.

"Err... Saber, I would like to confirm this. The destruction of that Britain was in your time, right? During your reign?" Iskandar asks Father.

"That is so. That is why I won't let it fall. That is why I regret it. I want to alter the outcome!" Father confirmed Rider's question, her voice firm. "For it was I and no other to blame!"

What...? 'Father blames herself?!' I look at father in disbelief.

Did Father not think that I was to blame, too? I was the one who initiated the rebellion. It wasn't Father's fault! I should be blamed here!

Suddenly, someone laughed out loud. It was Archer. Father turns her furious gaze at him.

"Archer, what's so funny?!" Father rebukes, Archer.

"Hahaha! Calling yourself a king and praised by all. a person like you could have 'regrets?' Ha! How can I not laugh? You're the world's biggest clown!" Archer mocks father.

That bastard, how dare he ridicule father like this?! I grit my teeth, trying not to stand and beat the shit out of this golden-wearing bastard!

Iskandar sighed and said,

"Saber, you surely don't mean that you would erase the mark you yourself had left in history?" Rider said, his expression really confused.

"What else?! Rider, don't tell me that you find this notion wrong. Why should that bother you? The country to which I sacrificed my life as a king had perished. Is there something wrong with me feeling sad?" Father tried to say.