trust

Jeongguk blankly stares at the file in his hands. It feels heavy and it looks old, a little torn around the edges. He looks up at Jimin, but his expression remains stone cold, jaw tightly clenched and Jeongguk can't even see the look in his eyes through the thick frame of his sunglasses. He swallows, brows slightly furrowing as he looks back down at the file.

"What am I supposed to do with this?"

Jimin shrugs, his grip tightening on the steering wheel. Jeongguk watches as his knuckles go pale, and he lets out a sharp breath before he responds.

"Whatever you want, I just told you," he says with another shrug.

"Look over it, read it, study it — whatever."

"And what if I tell you I don't want to read this?"

Truth is — Jeongguk's heart hammers so heavily against the inside of his chest and all he wants is to open this and read everything right now, right this  _ second.  _ But, he's trying to keep it cool.

Besides, it could be one of Jimin's games again, and Jeongguk just wants them to remain even, at least for a little while. Well, as even as they possibly can be — at least in his head.

"Then I'd tell you you're an absolute idiot," Jimin squirms in his seat, sighing as his grip around the steering wheel loosens.

He takes his sunglasses off and looks him straight in the eyes, making the hair on the back of Jeongguk's neck go stiff. His skin breaks out into goosebumps and Jeongguk doesn't know what the  _ fuck  _ about Jimin's gaze makes him feel so weak at the knees, makes his breathing all shaky and uneven. But he — he likes it.

"Trust me, I'd want to see that if I were you."

He would have the copy of this exact same folder in his hands this time next week — Jeongguk knows. And he knows divorce documents don't  _ just  _ get sealed. But — he doesn't know what Jimin's getting out of this. What's in it for  _ him. _

"Alright, and what's in it for you?"

It's a fair question to ask. He'd ask this question regardless if it was Jimin or anyone else in this car with him — if anyone from the opposing counsel ever gave him anything he could in any way interpret as useful, they'd usually want something in return.

Jimin tosses his head back and huffs out a little laugh, and Jeongguk carefully watches the exposed skin of his neck, swallowing heavily as Jimin's lips curl into a smile.

"Interestingly enough, nothing," he says simply, then his expression shifts.

"Well — you could say I might have some personal gain. In a way. I'm not entirely sure but —"

Jimin's voice briefly drifts off and his gaze slides away, and he stares through the windshield for a couple of moments. "But I'm hoping this will make you at least willing to  _ listen."

Jeongguk scoffs, rolling his eyes as he shifts in his seat.

"Listen to who? To you? Why does it even matter?" He tilts his eyebrows, shrugging.

"Me listening. We're not on the same team, you're after my father's  _ money—"

"See what I mean?" Jimin sighs impatiently, running his fingers through his hair.

"You don't ever want to  _ listen.  _ I don't give a shit about your father's money — it's not like I'll see a single won of it. I only care about the money I'll earn from this case. My mother is a high profile client and me winning this will be a good look for the firm." Jeongguk scoffs. As if.