prologue

Lori and Paul had been friends since she could remember

Lori and Paul had been friends since she could remember. The pair had grown up just down the road from each other on La Push's Reservation where her adopted mother Harper worked as a land and environment conservation manager for a small goverment group. Which unfortunatley for Lori meant her mother worked long hours and she would often be left alone, or atleast she had been left alone until she had met Paul.

Lori loved Paul with all her heart, he was her very first friend and someone she wasn't planning on letting go of in the near future. When they weren't in school the two kids were always together; swimming, climbing trees, and riding bikes around the Rez.

Paul had recently turned 9, with Lori due to turn 9 in just over a month (4 weeks and 3 days exactly), the two were currently testing out the electric blue push bike that Paul had been gifted just two days earlier.

"Do you reckon I can make it down there?" Paul asked nervously peering over the edge of a large mound of upturned earth, Lori right beside him.

"Better put your helmet back on just in case" Lori too now nervously crouched so she could look down the hill without slipping, she turned to Paul passing him his helmet with a small smile.

"we're not too far from the house anyway, i can carry you back if you get hurt?" the girl suggested softly. That was all the reassurance Paul needed before he quickly grabbed the helmet muttering a quick thanks under his breath and preparing to ride down the hill.

"I know its gonna feel weird hun, but i got a new job and i think it will be really good for us" Harper crouched in front of her daughter, bringing her small hands into her own and gently stroking the back of them with her thumbs.

"But what about my friends?" Lori had asked, her little hazel eyes glistening with unshed tears.

"We can always come and visit sweets, they're not gonna forget about you"

"okay mommy"