Chapter 5: New Beginnings

Right after the Christmas break, both sisters had their exams, Jin Hee had her second year of law school exams and Se Hee had her high school final year exams. Due to Jin Hee's desperation to never let down her parents and scoring good grades, it was decided that they will put the matter to rest as no boy was worth messing up final exams for Kim Jin Hee. Se Hee on the other hand was the most relaxed as she had gotten a job as an assistant pastry chef at the famous cafe. It was a very high-end cafe in the most affluent part of the Gangnam district. The location of the cafe was just a bonus for Se Hee. A few months ago she had visited Gangnam with her highschool friends and while her friends were interested in window shopping at the department stores for clothes, shoes, and jewellery, Se Hee had been captivated by the smell coming from this unique cafe just before the department store entrance. Obviously, she did not have the money to go inside the cafe and buy herself something, but when her Appa had asked her plans to apply for potential apprenticeships to become a chef, she told him about that cafe. Appa was confused and said

"But you want to be a chef. I will take you to the restaurant one of my village friends works at, he will get you a job there and you can learn cooking there"

"No Appa, I don't want to be a chef, I want to be a pastry chef, and Appa, I saw this cafe from the outside and I am sure it has the best bread and pastries in all of the country"

"How can you say all of the country?" Appa said laughing

"I just know"

"But we don't know if they are going to hire you or if they even have the position of an apprentice"

"We can go there and ask"

Jo Haak was so amazed at the attitude of his younger daughter. A few months ago she said she didn't have a dream or passion and now she was telling her the exact kind of chef she wants to be and where she wants to learn. This however was on brand for Se Hee, she always needed very little direction and encouragement and she would deliver hundred percent and achieve the set goal. 

The next weekend, she asked Appa to take her to the cafe so that she can get that apprenticeship, 

"Appa, today we have to go to the cafe to get me the apprenticeship at the cafe in Gangnam"

"Today?"

"Yes, today"

"You are applying today?" Amman asked

"Yes, I am"

"But we don't know anything about the place. I have asked my friends to find out about it. My delivery driver's brother works in that area, he will ask around and let me know . We will go after that." 

Appa was always the cautious one, he liked to make sure that wherever his kids are going to be it would be a safe place for them. The kids didn't know this but before the start of each school year, their Appa surveyed the school's surrounding area and asked around for any unfriendly activities that might be happening. Before Jin Hee started university, Appa took every possible route to the university from their house and timed it to find out the least and most amount of time it would take for Jin Hee to commute on the daily. And if she was ever late by more than an hour (which only happened twice) he would start walking towards the university and would meet Jin Hee on the way 'by chance'. 

"But we can still go and ask for the application process, it's not like I am joining right away."

"She is right. I have seen that cafe and it is the most fancy place even from the outside. All the rich and powerful people must go there. If our Se Hee learns from there, she will get admission to any good university program after a year's gap" Amman still had the dreams of Se Hee going to university. She had only made peace with her taking a short break.