𝟾 ♡ Nothing Burns Like The Cold

Nothing Burns Like The Cold By Snoh Aalegra, Vince Staples

I woke up today feeling refreshed and ready for the day. James and I are going for a run this morning, followed by some pilates. Then free practice starts. Jammed packed day and I'm ready for all of it. 

I put on my favourite running outfit and then waited for James to arrive. Scrolling through my phone, I saw a post from Carlos that had Lando tagged in it. I realized I wasn't following him and hit the follow button. He's got some cute photos on here I thought to myself. I was interrupted in my thoughts by a knock on the door and hopped up to go and let James in. 

I opened the door and saw James standing there, but he was joined by two others. Max and Max's trainer. I had an amused look on my face seeing them all there.

"What's going on here," I said, pointing between all of them. 

"Teammate run this morning!" James said, with a big grin on his face. 

Max looked like he had just been dragged out of bed and was going to fall asleep standing up. Quite amusing. 

"Random, let's go!" I said, at last, linking my arm with Max's and walking down the hallway. "Come on, Forrest let's get her done!" I continued, looking up at Max. He put a small smile on his face, looking back down at me. 

"Someone's cheery in the morning," he said, still looking down at me. 

"It's the best time of the day," I replied, looking back up at him. 

-

We've just finished our morning activities and Max and I are now heading back up to our rooms to get ready for the day. 

"Do you want a ride to the track today? I can drive you," Max said. 

Aweh that's adorable, I thought to myself. "Yeah, that'd be nice!" I responded. He's been really nice lately, weird. 

-

I've just finished getting ready and decided on a black maxi dress, then threw my hair up in a claw clip for the morning. 

I grabbed my bag and opened the door then walked out, completely not paying attention, and bumped into someone

I grabbed my bag and opened the door then walked out, completely not paying attention, and bumped into someone. "Oof," I said, then I looked up and of course, it was Max. "It's like walking into a statue," I continued. 

He laughed a bit then we were on our way. 

-

When we arrived at the paddock there were so many fans waiting to see drivers. They had seen Max's car coming and all started screaming. The screams only intensified when they saw both of us getting out of the car. Our names were being hollered and fans were holding up their caps and all sorts of merch wanting to be signed. 

Max and I both made our way over to them and started interacting with the fans and signing all their merch. I also took lots of photos with them and even some with both Max and me. 

After all that we made our way over to our hospitality. Once there I got pulled by the arm into a corner and I let out a little wail. I then had to adjust my eyes from the sudden whiplash I just experienced. 

"Laura?" I asked, staring at my PR manager. 

"Shh!" She immediately said then pulled out her phone and launched the Twitter app, then pointed the phone at me. "Look."

"What's this?" I asked, then started reading some of the posts. 

'Azalea Ashford follows Lando Norris on Instagram,' said one of the posts.

'Did you guys see that Azalea followed Lando Norris on Instagram this morning?' said another post, a fan account this time. 

"What the heck is this all about," I asked, pointing at the phone. 

"That's not all," she said then scrolled a bit more.

'Azalea Ashford and Max Verstappen arrive at the paddock together'

'Are Azalea and Max together? They came in the same car today' 

Then a couple more posts, mentioning both boys and myself. 

"Oh come on!" I exclaimed, handing her back the phone. "They'll look for any reason to cause drama, Laura. I'm not with either." 

"I know, sweetie," she said back, throwing an arm around my side. "Just stay calm and avoid any questions you might get about them. Now, go and prepare for the day, hun," she continued, shooing me off.

-

"Radio check," Benito drawled from the earpiece. 

I'm now out on the track, on my outlap. Just about ready to start my first flying lap. The cars feeling really great today and I'm ready to prove to everyone I deserve my place here. 

I pushed the pedal all the way and began my flying lap. I gave my all, wanting to be as comfortable with the car as possible. 

-

My car is now being reversed back into the garage after a successful FP1. I felt like I did a good enough job, considering it was my first in this car.

"Outstanding practice Az, that's P3. With Charles in P1, and Max in P2," Benito said to me when I got out of the car. 

"Good! Nice room for improvement." I said back, going to look over some stats with him. 

-

The afternoon went by with no improvement, but at least It's not qualifying yet. I'm now heading out to go find Max so that we can head home together.  

"Ready, bucko?" I asked when I found him. 

"Uhm, Yeah let's go," he mumbled while scratching the back of his neck. 

He started walking ahead of me, without making any conversation. 

What the hell?  I caught up with him and questioned, "Is everything alright, Max?"

"Yeah, just a long day," he said continuing to not look at me and keep walking at a fast pace. 

Why's he being like this with me?  "Are you sure? Cause you can talk to me," I assured him. 

"I'm fine, Az," He snapped. 

My face fell instantly. He's never talked to me like this before. 

He then softened his face a bit and softly said, "Look can we just go?" 

I nodded and followed him to his car before spending an awkward car ride of no talking back to the hotel. 

I didn't say another word to him before walking away back to my room.