𝟸𝟸 ♡ Sunlight

Sunlight By Hozier

It had been three months since the Miami Grand Prix—three months since my last win, and three months since I had a genuine conversation with Max.

Not the scripted exchanges for the cameras, but a real conversation where words flowed effortlessly. Despite not plummeting to the bottom in the races, I hadn't quite reclaimed the magic that once propelled me to the top podium.

This weekend marked the prestigious Monaco Grand Prix, and finally, a chance to return to my apartment, a space untouched since my last birthday celebration.

The morning unfolded in the company of Lana, a newfound friend forged during that memorable night in Miami. She usually accompanied Charles to races, and our shared experiences offered a well-needed getaway from the male-dominated world of Formula 1. After bidding Lana farewell, I approached my home.

Upon entry, I inhaled deeply, savoring the familiar scent that enveloped me. I dropped my belongings at the door and went to the living room, yearning for a moment of respite. The room echoed with the ambient sounds of the harbor below, accompanied by a breathtaking view.

As I turned the corner, an unexpected sight brought me to an abrupt standstill. Hanging proudly on the wall was a sizable canvas—a gift, precious and thoughtful beyond measure. Overwhelmed with emotion, a solitary tear traced a path down my cheek as I fixated on the image before me.

The sun shining through the windows and onto the canvas, it showcased a candid moment, captured when Max and I were lost in our own world. Our eyes locked, smiles mirroring each other, transcending the limitations of the black-and-white photograph. It was a genuine snapshot of happiness, a sentiment I hadn't felt since that very moment.

My eyes reluctantly left the canvas for a moment, drawn to a note beside it. I approached and hesitantly picked it up, unsure if I was reading to read the words that accompanied this heartfelt gesture.

Azalea Selene Ashford,

What's a birthday without multiple photos to remember it by?  Your glowing smile will always leave me speechless and I hope it will always shine bright.

  You'll always be my root number 6 ;)

Your lovely teammate, Max, number 33 ;)

PS: Daniel took the photo so he wants some credit as well.

Tears flowed freely, leaving trails down my cheeks, as I immersed myself in the words Max had written to me. I read and reread, savoring every word.

A gentle smile played on my lips, and I chuckled softly at the thought of Max, persistent and determined, tracking down my house sitter during that time we were in Australia and had no clue where he was. His dedication to this surprise.

Sinking into the plush comfort of my couch, I clutched the note close to my heart, my gaze returning to the canvas that now lived in my living room. More tears fell freely, as I reminisced on that day that held so many emotions. 

~~~~~~~~

The sun had long dipped behind the mountains, leaving only darkness around me. The only source of illumination was the sliver of the moon overhead, rendering the night a bit darker. 

I remained on the couch. The photo that I had stared at for hours now, was illuminated only by the soft radiance of the moon but retained its captivating glow. 

Lando had messaged me. An invitation to join him and a few friends. Yet, the weight of the canvas in my living room, a gentle reminder of a connection I couldn't easily explain, tethered me to the couch. I couldn't bring myself to reveal its existence to Lando. I didn't want it to be a secret. But a fragile part of myself had flickered back to life at the sight of that photograph and I couldn't bear to see the look on Lando's face as he took it in and everything it did to me. 

Unable to face the outside world, I made the excuse of being sick. It pained me to send the text, a small betrayal of the bond we shared. But wrapped in this darkness, with the canvas and its silent narrative, I found solace. The whirlwind of emotions refused to subside, and for now, the only company I sought was the quiet luminescence of the moon and the silent reminders of a day that had stirred the deepest corners of my heart.

Author Note:

Azalea number reveal :)))