Five / The Moon Was High

Act One, Chapter Five

910 wordsslight cw // mentions of drug use/smoking (weed)

910 words
slight cw // mentions of drug use/smoking (weed)

A Few Weeks Later, September, 2023

Saying Taylor's doing better would probably be an overstatement, but she's not worse or wallowing by herself much, so that's good. Though most of her recent studio sessions have consisted of more getting high than the actual making of music, but honestly, she doesn't care. She needs to get better at giving herself time to let loose and not be constantly working.

Today is not one of those days, though. She was up all night. Ended up having to call someone in the middle of the night because she was starting to scare herself and couldn't be alone. Ended up finally getting to sleep around 8 AM.

It's times like these where that part of her that misses him takes the wheel in her brain. She doesn't even truly miss him, just misses the warmth and having someone physically there to help her through nights like these. But she's thankful she has so many people willing to sit on the phone with her.

Taylor finally woke up around 5 PM, all the stress of the night before had settled in her stomach. She feels almost hungover, but that's not possible because she hasn't had alcohol in a week, her therapist made her try to cut herself off because 'one glass' turned into a full bottle way too quickly.

It takes a few moments, but finally she gathers the strength to roll over and grab her phone. Nothing too important, just a few texts from Tree about Eras Tour movie stuff, general groupchat messages, and a text from Jack from like 2 hours ago about if she's coming in today- shit.

Taylor: I'm sooooo sorry
I promise I'm not ignoring you I literally just woke up

Jack: lmaoo it's all good
i figured you were asleep when you didnt respond within 20 minutes

Taylor: I always have to remind myself you don't worry as much as Aaron does lmao
can I come by tomorrow tho? I plan on not sleeping into the evening

***

Jack has had more sessions with Mikah in the past week than he has with Taylor in the past month, which is concerning because Taylor basically used to live there part time. He's not upset—Mikah is incredibly talented—but it makes him sad how much Taylor's been isolating herself and not writing lately. But nonetheless, if just hanging out and chatting and drinking or whatever is all she's up for, he's more than happy to keep her company.

Kind of a shame she didn't pop by yesterday, though, he was planning on having her meet Mikah. But oh well, that can wait.

"Hey!" Jack says, pulling Taylor into a hug as she walked in, "How've you been?"

"I've been okay," Taylor murmurs, letting herself sink into the hug, "Sorry about yesterday, by the way. I really didn't mean to sleep that long."

"It's fine, T, I promise. Are you okay, though?"

"Yeah! Yeah, just a bit of a rough night, is all."

"You know you can call me or Margaret if you need anything, yeah?"

Taylor sighs, pulling out of the hug. Wishing people would stop reassuring her. "I know, I know"

"Anyway, do you have anything to work on today, or are you just here to smoke?" Jack says, trying to lighten the mood a bit.

Taylor giggles, "Mayyybe a little bit of both..." She teases. Jack rolls his eyes at her, "No, seriously, I've got some stuff today. Also Tree gave me a lecture on the smoking thing the other day.."

"How did she even find out?"

"I may or may not have shown up to a meeting considerably high last week, and she knows I only take edibles for my insomnia, so,"

"You're shitting me, that's hilarious."

"I know!" Taylor laughs, flopping down on the beanbag chair, "It was giving like, high school teacher busting you for some stupid shit." Jack bursts out laughing, "I'M SERIOUS! She had massive 'I'm gonna send an email home!' energy"

"Oh my god. this is amazing. I've missed you, T."

***

"Bro, so many people are trying to date me, it's fucking insane." Taylor says abruptly, they've been working on demos for hours, just now catching a break. "And like, I've tried going out with a few of them, but I just can't get into it, y'know"

"Oh yeah? Why do you think that is?" Jack asks, sitting down next to Taylor on the floor,

"I dunno, man. I'm just done with guys, I guess."

"Oh, well, I do have someone I want you to meet-"

Taylor signs, "Did you not hear what I just said?"

"It's not like that, I swear! She's like, super fucking cool."

Taylor gives him a look, "She?"

Jack throws his hands up in defense, "You said you were done with guys!"

"Yeah? How does that translate to 'start hooking me up with girls', exactly?"

"C'mon, man. Don't act like I don't know this, I know stuff about you your therapist doesn't know." Taylor looks genuinely caught out.

"I'm not- I don't- I-" She stammers, getting up, "I'm going home. I'll send you the rest of the song later, okay?"

"Okay," Jack sighs, "Be safe, T. Let me know if you need anything."

"Will do," Taylor says, already halfway out the door, "Love you, weirdo."

"Love you too, bitch."

***

4:28 AM

Taylor: I take it back tell me about her

Jack: lmao go to bed

🩶🩶🩶

well would you look at that, i finally updated
this chapter has been partially written since before i even started writing chapter one 😭
i have been very busy but updates should start getting more consistent starting in november :)
not proofread
vote, comment, etc. don't ghost read love youuu