Chapter 4 - Where's Mayday?

Peter stirred awake in his chair to realize that he had dozed off some time ago. He swiveled his head around the waiting room, and then felt weightlessness in his lap. He looked down to find Mayday missing and shot up out of his seat on high alert.

"Mayday!" he called out, trying not to sound panicked in front of everyone. "Sweetie, where are you?" He began by checking under the chairs, his back bent low. "You shouldn't be playing hide-and-seek in a hospital, you know?"

There was still no sign of his baby girl. He got back up, scratching his head nervously. This was a huge building; she could literally be anywhere. If he didn't find her soon... MJ would kill him.

And so, he hurried off in the first logical direction, cursing under his breath.

*****

In the stairwell, Miles G. Morales stood maskless before a bewildered Jefferson, a spitting image of his own father from Earth 42. He remained stoic to hide the electric rush in his nerves, his hands clenched to avoid them trembling.

He was here... what now?

Jefferson stared into the face of this young man, taking in all its features. He looked so much like his son, yet so different at the same time, and it had nothing to do with his hair being braided back or his purple suit; his soul just felt different.

"So..." Jefferson spoke up, breaking the silence. "... what's your story?"

Miles raised on eyebrow, surprised by this response, and started fidgeting a little, wondering where to even start. "Well..." he began. "... I'm obviously a Miles Morales from another dimension, but just to avoid confusion, you can either call me Miles G. Morales... or just G, full stop."

Jeff shrugged. "Since we're the only two people here right now, I'll just stick to Miles."

"Fine." And so, he continued. "For the past year or so, I was supposedly the one and only Prowler... but then a few days ago, I found out from another me that I was actually supposed to be Spider-Man." He rolled his eyes, shaking in disbelief. "It still boggles my mind just saying it."

"You and me both." They chuckled for a bit. "So... how did you become the Prowler?"

"Uncle Aaron... my Uncle Aaron." he corrected quickly. He then sighed, looking upwards. "It was after you... my father died... that I went to him. I wanted to become strong. I didn't want to feel powerless ever again."

"Aaron..." Jeff's eyes widened. "Is he...?"

"Still alive, yes." Miles nodded. "But anyway... he initially didn't want me to be any part of it, but I pushed him enough times until he caved in and showed me the ropes."

"What did you do then?"

"Whatever I had to do to get by." Miles glared back at the man to see if there were any signs of accusation or disappointment from him, but there were neither. "With no real authority or so-called Spider-Man to protect our city, we had to fend for ourselves." He then sighed, looking down at his stark shadow on the floor.

Jefferson shuffled on the step he was sitting on, offering this young man to sit with him.

"I'm good." Miles waved him off with a smirk, then leaned against the wall opposite him.

Rio suddenly came to Jeff's mind. "How's your mother?" he asked.

"My ma?" Miles flinched, then composed himself again. "She's fine. She also works as a nurse. She doesn't know what we do, though I would sometimes drop supplies at her window just to help her out." He couldn't help but smile sadly.