Chapter 22 -

The following morning, Rio and Jefferson Morales held hands as they returned to the ICU, both knowing that their son's life... no, this whole family... was about to be changed forever. When they found Miles in his bed, exactly how they left him, he had Gwen sleeping next to him under his sheet again, keeping true to her promise with her arms and legs hugging him protectively.

The parents were touched by this scene, especially with early sunrise spilling in from the unveiled window, which goldened the room and painted them in a warming marvelous landscape. They almost didn't want to wake this young couple, but time wasn't on their side, if it ever was to begin with.

On this day... on this very date... Rio was here on a mission... the most important one of her whole life... it was her turn to save her son... her Spider-Man... and her precious little angel.

Approaching the bed, she shook the young girl, who gave a little resistance, until she stirred out of her slumber soon after. When she squinted up and saw Mrs. Morales looming over her, she almost jerked at her sudden presence.

"M-Mrs. Morales...?" Gwen rolled onto her back, rubbing the sleep from her eyes.

"Good morning, mija."

"Good... morning." she yawned before sitting up, stretching as she came out of her daze. "How are you guys?" she then asked, noticing Jefferson as well.

"We're okay." he answered while glancing away. "And you?"

"A little better." Shrugging, she turned to Miles, who was still fast asleep, as shown by his beeping heart monitor. "I think he likes my company... it's probably what's keeping him alive."

Gwen quickly regretted the words as they left her mouth when Rio concurred. "I appreciate that." She took note of the girl's appearance. "You look nice today, except for the sleep."

"Thanks..." she chuckled, fluttering to tidy her long hair, "... you too."

Dissolving her smile, the woman gazed longingly at her son... he looked so peaceful.

"What is it?" Gwen suddenly asked her, noticing her dark look.

"Huh? Oh." Gathering herself, Rio wiped the growing wetness from her eyes then cleared her throat; she had lost herself for a moment there. "Can I... talk to you outside for a moment?"

"What is it?" she repeated nervously.

"Come on." Rio motioned to the doorway, smirking now.

Gwen glanced at Jefferson, who simply shrugged back, before she planted a kiss on Miles and followed her out into the hallway, a fair distance from earshot. Finding a good spot, they leaned together against a wall to have their conversation.

"How truthful were your words to my son yesterday?" Rio questioned with her arms crossed.

"All of it." Gwen answered straight away.

"So..." a smirk drew across the woman's face, "... where's the ring, then?"

"Excuse me?"

"You said you wanted to marry him." She bounced her eyebrows.

"Uh..." Gwen blushed like a tomato, hiding her face in embarrassment.

"What? You don't think my son's good husband material?"

"N-No, I..." she turned even redder, sweating now. "... God."

"It's okay." Rio snickered at having pulled this girl's strings. "I think you're great for him..." she assured, which eased the young blonde, "... I really mean that."