Chapter 13 - Good News

Back in school, Miles Morales was listening to one of his teacher's lectures, raising his hand to answer whatever questions were thrown his way, when his own spider-sense went into overdrive; this was no ordinary threat.

Gwen... she's in danger.

"Uh, miss?" He raised his hand abruptly, and all heads turned to him. "May I go to the bathroom, please?"

The teacher, barely acknowledging the student, gave him the lazy handwave. "Go ahead."

Taking his bag, he exited the classroom while bumping a few desks and paced down the crowded hallway into a bathroom where there were thankfully no other people inside. Locking himself in a cubicle, he zipped open his bag on the toilet to take out his very own goober.

When he activated it, the first person he decided to contact was Peter.

"Miles, what's up?" His holographic face popped up instantly and sensed his agitation.

"It's Gwen..." Miles answered, panting. "... she's in trouble."

Peter didn't need to argue. "We're on our way." he avowed.

When his communicator went off again, Miles leaned against a wall, his mind racing with the worst possible scenarios. Holding his chest, he exercised deep breaths to avoid panicking.

"She's Gwen..." he huffed, "... she can hold her own."

*****

Down in the sewers, Spider-Woman was on the defensive. The echoes were filled with mad laughter as the Green Goblin, the most feared foe of any Spider-Man, threw a barrage of attacks her way, many of which missed while a few others connected.

"DODGE, DODGE, DODGE!" jeered the green supervillain.

With his blade, he slashed at her, each swing faster and more precise than the last.

"T-That all you got!?" Gwen taunted shakily, bobbing and weaving.

She knocked him back with her own set of blows. Her punches and kicks bounced off the walls, which sounded like gunshots. She was grunting animalistically, a mix of fear and fury... she wanted to end this threat... needed to end this nightmare.

"STRONGER... THAN YOU... LOOK!" The Goblin stumbled back, clutching his bloodied face.

"There's more where that came from!" she growled back, surging with adrenaline.

When the Goblin made another swift hand motion, Gwen's spider-sense kicked in again. She saw in slow motion three bat-like projectiles jetting towards her with bladed wings... they were fast even in this mode.

Leaping backwards, she twirled in the air, her arms spread, to avoid the first two... but when she landed, the third one grazed her upper side and drew blood.

Yelling in pain, she staggered while clutching the new wound; it wasn't deep enough to be critical, but the pain was sharp enough to pause her for a moment. Time froze for her, but not because of her tingle... because of her thoughts and feelings... her anxiety... the hairs on her goosebumps threatening to pierce through her suit.

Am I going to die here?

She charged at her enemy, determined to block out that dreadful inner voice. The Goblin, grinning again, slashed her with his melee blade again... this time, he drew some more blood from the Spider, her lack of concentration being the main cause.

Am I about to become another canon event?

Regaining distance, she panted while checking her wounds; they were all bigger than the first, all over her arms, legs, and torso, but they still weren't lethal enough to cause any issues... but she could only wonder how long that would last; if she wasn't careful, her friends and family would have to bury her in several caskets.