berry picking

—

A few hours later and there was still no sign that the man on the radio had somehow picked up on their voices. It had gotten to the point where the only person that bothered to keep lookout was Dale.

Lori and Amy left it upon themselves to sort out the mushrooms they collected, hoping it was enough to feed anyone.

Remington had a sneaky suspicion that it wouldn't be and had already planned it out in her mind that she'd be giving her portion to Rudy.

Speaking of the girl, she was currently pretending to be interested in Carl's explanation of his action figures. She didn't really care, but Sophia was quite obvious on her dislike and Rudy didn't enjoy seeing the crease in Carl's brows that showed he was upset.

Seeing that the girl was occupied and clearly being watched by both Dale and Carol, Remi silently stood from her shadowed area by the trees, collecting a sharp knife that she had brought with her from her parents kitchen.

It had been a solid two days of her giving her food to Rudy and while she wanted to ensure that her sister ate, she couldn't last too long without eating.

Taking one last glance at Rudeth, Remington sighed softly to herself before starting her walk deeper into the woods, unaware of the blue eyes that followed her every movement.

•••

It was less than five minutes before Jameson followed after Remi. Last thing he wanted was for the blonde to get in trouble for leaving without telling anyone, so he did the same, wanting to get both of them back at camp and quickly and safely as possible without anyone having the suspicion that either of them left.

He hadn't wanted to startle her, so he kept a distance, watching her pick a few berries that Amy and his mother missed. He didn't know how she did it, but the girl seemed pretty smart when it came to which ones were edible or not.

James scared both himself and the girl in front of him when he accidentally stepped on a branch. He was far too lost in his thoughts to realize he wasn't watching where he stepped.

He gasped in shock once he found himself pinned to a tree with a kitchen knife to his neck,

"What are you doing?"

"Ensuring you don't get eaten alive." He squeaked out, "Can you get that away from my neck?"

"Why'd you leave camp?" Remi pulled away, looking him up and down as she backed up.

"I was just looking out for you." He raised his hands in defense, "We should get back before anyone realizes we left."

Remington's eyes narrowed suspiciously, "You didn't tell anyone I left?"