rick's return

—

Unfortunately for him, Jameson was sat not too far away from Lori and Carl, his little brother getting his hair trimmed.

On a normal day, James wouldn't care much, in fact, he would probably make fun of Carl for having to endure the annoyance of his mother telling him to sit still every twenty seconds. But now, he refused to speak or laugh as Shane had made himself comfortable in front of his family.

Remi could feel his eyes boring into the side of her face every once in a while, it never failed to make her heart stutter any time she caught him and he still hadn't looked away.

She couldn't tell if he was staring into space and just so happened to lock his eyes on her, or if he knew what he was doing and just had no intentions of stopping. Either way, she wasn't mad about it.

He eventually stood up, making his way towards the girl that was getting her nails repainted by Rudeth who took a second to smile politely at him before focusing her attention back on her sister's hand.

James sat next to Remi, nodding at her before clearing his throat awkwardly, for once he was thankful that his mother's voice caught his attention.

"Baby, the more you fidget, the longer it takes. So don't, okay?"

Carl huffed, "I'm trying."

"Well, try harder."

"How come you don't cut James' hair anymore?"

Lori glanced over at the older boy, frowning as he hadn't even looked at her, "James is old enough to do his own hair now."

She knew he heard her. His hands flew to his hair to pull it out of his face. She wasn't wrong, James did do his own hair now, which is why he was now sporting a messy middle part rather than the bowl cut look Lori normally did.

"If you think this is bad, wait till you start shaving. That stings. That day comes, you'll be wishing for one of your mama's haircuts." Shane said, trying to cheer the boy up.

"I'll believe that when I see it."

Shane chuckled, "I'll tell you what... you just get through this with some manly dignity and tomorrow I'll teach you something special. I will teach you to catch frogs."

James scoffed. He knew all about catching frogs, hell his own father taught him and Carl how. His father. Something Shane wasn't.

"I've caught a frog before." Carl stated, smiling over at his older brother, he too seemingly remembering what Rick taught them.

"I said frogs... plural. And it is an art, my friend. It is not to be taken lightly. There are ways and means. Few people know about it. I'm willing to share my secrets." Shane said, "You can join too, James."