Turning the Page

Sabrina hummed along to the music being sung by the chorus in the grand cathedral she was laying in the rafters of, scratching the chin of a crow that landed in a nearby window she had opened. The cathedral was a beautiful church near the black forest in Germany, with all the bells and whistles; stained glass windows, statues and religious artwork galore. She liked to come there to listen to choir practice when she was in the area, and also because she found it funny.

A half-demon relaxing in a church. The irony.

Once the song ended, Sabrina sighed in disappointment and contentment.

'What a beautiful song. Such a shame it ended so soon.'

Jumping out the window she had opened, Sabrina landed on the ground several stories below gracefully and without injuries. She then walked off down the road towards town, her hands deep in the pockets of her black trench coat. She whistled along to the song she had heard at the church until she had reached the bustling town square of Offenburg. When she reached a line of bookshops, she smiled widely, revealing her fangs.

Then her phone rang. Pulling the device out of her pocket, Sabrina put it to her ear, tucking a strand of her long black hair behind her ear. She knew who was calling her without even checking the caller ID.

"Hey Adrien, what's up?", she asked her caretaker/oldest friend. Adrien had been the one who raised her, but he had always been more of a friend and less of a father figure for her. The undertaker's crazed laugh could be heard through the speaker.

"Oh nothing at all, lass. I was just curious as to how you were doing. How's Germany treating you?", he asked. Sabrina heard a whistle. The retired reaper was likely calling her as he made his afternoon tea. Sabrina chuckled.

"Fine as always. I stopped by the cathedral, listened to the morning choir practice; you know, the usual. Now I'm about to do some shopping. There's this one bookstore that I-GAH!", the girl started to explain, her red eyes flickering with joy at the mention of books, until she was cut off by unceremoniously being dragged into a dark alleyway she was walking past by the collar of her coat. She realized who was dangling her in the air like a misbehaving cat almost instantly, and when she was face to face with the person, Sabrina frowned in annoyance.

"Adrien, I'm gonna have to call you back.", she told her caretaker in a dry voice when she saw the annoyed face of William T. Spears, with an exasperated Ronald and a grinning Grell standing behind him.

"William again?", Adrien asked knowingly.

"Yep.", the girl informed with annoyed red eyes. Then she hung up and gave William her full attention with a not-at-all subtle glare shielded by a wide fake grin. William glared back.

"William dear, to what do I owe the unexpected pleasure?", she purred dangerously. William glared at her harder.

"Drop the act, Michaelis. You know what you did.", he stated coldly. Sabrina rolled her eyes at the dramatic severity the man was using in his tone

"Okay, so maybe I do something, but you kinda have to tell me what I did in the first place for me to 'know what I did'", Sabrina responded with an eyeroll. William sighed.

"All the death scythes of the German reaper's division have been replaced with pool noodles. Be honest, was that you?", he asked with an old sort of exasperation. He had been in this situation many times before. Sabrina giggled maniacally.

"Maybe~!", she sang. William groaned. He knew that was a yes.

"I knew it! Sabrina, you can't keep pulling these pranks! The first few with the glitter and the sticky notes were easy to wave off, but if you keep doing things like this, I can't keep covering for you.", William told her with the sternness of a worried father in his eyes and voice. Sabrina glared at him.