Chapter 3

He was standing alone in a dying field. The crops had withered from the harsh winter but his golden hair shone like the sun that had left its position in the sky.

He was tall, with a loose-fitting turquoise t-shirt and khaki shorts. His skin was tanned and rough, covered in fading scars and cuts. His expression seemed sombre and he expressed a melancholy song.

He breathed out, and a glittery white mist emerged in a cloud, slowly disappearing into the frosty atmosphere around him. His eyes were like a kaleidoscope; thousands of colours swirling in his iris.

He took a single step forward and the snow was clearing around him. The second step came and flowers were blossoming behind him.

"Let's run away to a place where the stars kiss the ocean..." his voice breathed into someone ear. It was soft and comforting, like a warm hug.

The figure beside him nodded, and the snow cleared from beneath them. "Let's go."

***

The chilly air woke Leo at dawn. The sky was still dark, but the sun was just started to peek up from behind the horizon.

What a dream he had had that previous night. He turned over under his quilt, and breathed out. It sure was cold. That, he was sure, everyone could agree on.

He turned over to find himself face to face with Xymeria. He had to admit, her features were perfectly sculpted. Her eyelashes were long and luscious, and her lips were thinly coated in a pink lipstick complimenting her purple eyeshadow and oily olive skin.

Leo reached out to touch her face, but realised just in time and pulled his hand back. It took him a while to realise that Xymeria's eyelids had long opened, and she was staring right back into his eyes.

He sat up immediately when it hit him, and Xymeria laughed. He cleared his throat.

"Xymeria-chan?"

"Eria," she said, sitting up as well.

"Eria-chan, should we pack up and head on?"

"We should stay and collect supplies today," a voice came from further behind him. It was Hana.

Eria nodded. "Mm. Hana-san and I can head into the city again, and you and Boa can start on training."

Boa perked up at the sound of his name. "We're training?" he jumped over Xymeria's legs and onto Leo's. "Isn't that cool, onii-san!"

Leo smiled warmly. "Of course."

The wind blew fiercely at them, and Eria snuck back under her blankets. "Can someone pass me my bag?"

***

Hana and Eria walked down the dusty pathway when Eria called out.

"Before you start anything fishy with Leo, you should know that he's mine."

"He's your boyfriend?" Hana questioned, brushing a strand of hair off her face, unfazed.

Eria hesitated. "In a way, yes."

Hana nodded slowly. "Don't worry, Xymeria-san. I wasn't going to do anything like that with him anyways. I've got bigger things on my mind."

"M'kay."

"Anyway, you should should Leo and me tonight. We could all sit by the cliff edge, and enjoy the view, couldn't we?

"You were with Leo last night?"

"What?" Hana looked confused, "He joined me by the cliff edge. That's all. I'd never steal a guy from another girl."

Eria sniffed. "Sure."

Her heart felt heavy in her chest. She didn't want to feel the need to lie to such a sweet, innocent girl, but she had chosen Leo, and she had to keep him to herself. Any potential threats to their relationship should be given a lesson on why they shouldn't steal another woman's man.

"So," she mumbled, wanting to break the ice that was quickly spreading between them. "Should we also train once we get back?"

Hana smiled. "Yeah. I'd love to."

***

Boa slammed his fist, aiming for Leo's arm, which he easily dodged. He kept flailing his fists around until Leo intervened.

 "Hey hey hey!" he blocked Boa's fists, "Trying aiming for spots like the stomach, kidneys or chest. It'll inflict more damage."

"I don't wanna hurt you onii-san..." he mumbled, putting his hands down in defeat.

"It's ok; I can block them. It's just so you know what to do if we are in a fight."

Boa nodded sadly.

"Right. Have you awakened your powers yet?" Leo asked.

The boy shrugged. "I never tried to use them."

"Then we can try today!"

They both grinned from ear to ear. Boa laughed.

"But how?"

"I'm no expert, but I'm sure if you just concentrate really hard on that flower over there, you can make it bloom or something. Whatever you like."

He nodded, scrunching up his eyes. He extended his hands out in front of his chest, and Leo swore he saw a faint green glow emerging from them.

"That's great! You're almost there," Leo encouraged.

Boa sighed heavily, hunching his back in exhaustion. "I'm so tired... ugh..."

Nevertheless, he stood back up, placing his palms face up, and holding them out from his chest. His head was pointed downwards, and his face was stuck in a permanent frown.

The flower. Focus on the flower. The one in the corner, the one by that tree, the one that isn't fully bloomed. Come on Boa. Focus.

Boa felt an unpredictable energy surge through his body, not resting in his hands, but flowing through them. He opened his eyes, and there, by the tree, the flower had opened, revealing the delicate, beautiful petals that had been hiding underneath.

"Onii-san! Leo-sama! Look!" Boa jumped up and down in excitement. "Look what I just did!"