Chapter 6

"It was never a fight to begin with," the man grunted. The woman laughed and rested her arm on his shoulder.

"It wasn't?" she smiled, "Well, I'm glad the reason for you leaving was to protect that woman."

Eria stood behind them, awfully still. Leo and Boa were running over to her, and her gaze flicked between the two.

"Eria-chan!" Leo panted, holding Boa's hand and pulling the boy behind him.

Eria was standing there, too frightened to move. She was still shaking.

"Here."

Eria looked up. The woman from the match had unbuttoned her shirt, revealing a red vest. She was holding it out for Eria to take, but her limbs felt numb.

The woman grimaced. "These mobs. They can be more dangerous than this, so watch out."

She began buttoning the shirt over Eria's torn dress. Leo and Boa were standing there, looking just about as horrified as Eria.

"I'll take her to my apartment to clean up," the woman announced, gently pushing Eria's back to get her to move. "You keep an eye on those two boys. I don't want more people covered in wounds."

The man rolled his eyes, but nodded, moving to stand closer to Leo and Boa.

"What happened?" Leo cried, finally over his phase of panic.

"Got pushed around by the mob. She should be fine soon," the man said.

"Oh. Okay. Will she be okay with that woman?" he looked at him pleadingly.

"Oh, Chili? She isn't a professional doctor, but she did major in some sort of medical field," he said, searching far into his brain for the information.

Boa looked petrified, and clutched onto Leo's hand. He stood up straighter, awfully aware that this guy could probably defeat him by pushing him over.

"What's your name?"

Leo was hesitant to answer, then decided he could be trusted. "Leo. And this is Boa."

"I'm Ryuu. Nice to meet you."

Leo nodded cautiously. "Mm."

"So what were you doing in fire territory?"

"We were heading to the city centre. But our plans are kind of spoiled now."

"Yeah, okay, but why do you want to get to the city centre?"

"To find someone."

Ryuu sighed. "And who might that person be?"

Leo hesitated. "We uh... don't actually know yet. Whoever is willing to come with us."

He raised his eyebrows. "So you're like... recruiting a member?"

Leo nodded, and held Boa's hand tighter. "We lost one just last night. We have to recruit another water pixie, and a fire demon."

"Cool. I'd be willing to join you, if you wanted."

Boa's eyes widened, and so did Leo's. Boa was purely frightened, and Leo was shocked.

"Really?!" Leo exclaimed, "You'd do that?"

"Not like I've got anything here to do."

"What about Chili?"

"And what are suggesting with that?" he snapped, "Her parents and mine are close, that's all. We grew up together."

"Oh. Okay."

"Are you a... bad guy?" Boa squeaked, hiding behind Leo.

Ryuu started to laugh. "And what is your definition of 'bad guy'?"

"Boa!" Leo hissed.

"Sorry onii-san," he murmured.

"You two are brothers?" Ryuu asked.

Leo shook his head. "Not biologically. He's the first member I recruited. Like my first mate I guess."

Boa giggled, and partially emerged from behind Leo's back. Ryuu smiled. "I'd be happy to join you guys."

***

"There, there," Chili comforted, pressing a wipe against her wounds. "It's okay."

Eria was soaking in a warm bath, her muscles stiff tense from being attacked. Chili poured the water over her knees, gently washing off the blood and grit. Her arms were still clutched around her chest, and Chili was slowly easing them away from her body and into the water.

"It's okay. You'll be alright."

She lay Eria's head back, and let her hair flow out in the bath. Eria was gazing up at the woman, still too stunned to speak. She managed a half-nod, and rested her head against the edge of the bath again.

"You can stay still now. Close your eyes if you like."

She pressed a wipe to her forehead, and Eria's eyelids fluttered closed. Chili sighed. She hated seeing such a helpless, innocent woman being harmed. It reminded her of herself when the war happened ten years ago. A child on the battlefield.

But no demon would spare a child. They never have.

***

Niamh Nathiara Nerys was known all throughout the world of Dark. She was a Spirit-Seer, and was renown for her excessive knowledge on poison.

Everyone in the Dark realm knew her by her full name, but anyone outside would only call her by her surname, Miss Nightshade.

She was feared by all her clients, who only were referred to her as a last resort, because there was no telling, if you got on her bad side, whether you would wake up again.