Chapter 7

Niamh Nathiara Nerys leaned back into her armchair. She sighed as someone started to stroke her hair.

"Haven't seen you at all today..." a masculine voice whispered into her ear, breathing warm air down her neck.

"You see me now."

He laughed. "I sure do."

"Felix?" she twisted her head around to look at her boyfriend. Her midnight blue hair hung on her shoulders gracefully.

"Mm?" he settled down in a chair next to her.

"Are you scared of me?"

"No. Why?"

"That I might poison you one day."

"And why would you do that?"

"If we get in a fight."

"I can't stay mad at you," he smiled, and rubbed her cheek.

Her lower lip protruded in a sulky pout. "How?"

He shrugged. "I just can't. You're so beautiful."

Niamh's expression softened, and she got up to sit on his lap. She felt herself slip into a warm embrace as he wrapped his arms around her. For someone whose heart was empty, this was the closest it got to feeling whole again.

***

Chili had waved them off as Ryuu, Leo, Boa and Eria set off towards the water realm.

"Good luck, and be safe!" she called.

Ryuu nodded casually while Leo and Boa waved warmly. Eria gave a small smile, her posture still hunched and closed up.

As they turned off the last street of the fire kingdom, Ryuu finally spoke up.

"So. Do you guys even know where the water realm is?"

Leo looked embarrassed, and slowed down to carry Boa in order to avoid the question.

Eria look up and replied: "I do. I'll lead the way; I've been there before."

There was a long and awkward silence for most of the journey. "It's not too far now," Eria said.

Everyone nodded slowly, and soon the large waterfalls of the water realm's entrance came into view. The place was one of the most beautiful Leo had ever seen, and he hadn't even seen the inside. The ground gradually transitioned into the softest sand any one of them had ever stepped on, and glass-like pebbles littered the ground. The water glistened in the glowing golden sunshine. As far as any of them were concerned, it was the most idyllic of all the different realms.

They made their way to the gates, and the pixies there eyed them up suspiciously. A guard raised an eyebrow, but let them pass into their city.

"They're much more accepting than I anticipated. This will make things a whole lot easier," Leo exclaimed.

Boa nodded sleepily. He had been asleep on both Ryuu and Leo's backs along the way. Leo rolled his eyes. They had spent the night at Chili's apartment (since Ryuu had previously been living at his parents' which had no guest rooms) and he hadn't slept a wink, but he had to continue on the journey.

The streets were littered with sociable pixies, and a collection of excited tourists. Leo glanced to the side, and noticed a 'Missing Person' sign hung up on a lamppost. It had a picture of Hana on, and Leo felt a large space open up ready for the sadness and regret to hit him.

Eria sighed in distress, and Leo assumed she had seen the poster too. Ryuu looked oblivious.

Good. We don't even have to let him know. Leo thought.

The path down to the central city was much wider than the fire realm's, and the roads and paths off it seemed welcoming, less dangerous.

An uneasy smile forced its way onto his face as they continued down the path. He didn't understand the emotions he was feeling now, but he knew that this was one of the safest places to be.

Eria gave a sigh of relief, and the tension in her shoulders eased. The atmosphere seemed almost too comforting than she liked. It seemed suspicious, but she let the thought drift away and she stayed in the moment to enjoy the few moments of peace and calmness.

Ryuu, like Eria, had also noticed this eerie utopia, but instead of living in the moment, he stiffened up, stepping ahead of the group to lead them away from any potential danger. The fire and wariness in his eyes hadn't left since the incident with Eria. He knew the dangers of the fire realm, but somehow seemed less reluctant to leave his childhood friend there than in this perfect place. Everything seemed slightly amiss, and he wasn't going to let anyone else suffer because of it.

He paused, then made his way backwards to Leo. "I'll take Boa now. You seem tired."

Leo nodded, happy to comply, and relieved he could walk freely now. He settled with a pace alongside Eria as Ryuu and Boa marched on ahead.

Eria turned to him, a bit uneasy. "Um, Leo?"

"Yeah?"

"Uh. I was hoping we could get another girl in our team..."

"A water nymph?"

"Mm... yeah."

"Of course. If that makes you feel more comfortable in our group."

Eria nodded, slightly confused. "But... Hana?"

Leo shook his head, as if to say 'leave it in the past, focus on the present'.

"Oh. Okay," she whispered.

The awkward silence continued as they followed Ryuu down an almost deserted cobbled pathway. Much to all their relief, it was soon broken when Ryuu called: "Here. The city centre."

The air was instantly filled with the chattering and casual chatter of the town as they stepped towards the large fountain in the centre. The statue in the midst of the bubbling water was a sculpture of some major sea animals, including a whale, a dolphin, a shark and many fish littered around.

There were several gaggles of girls here and there, but Eria seemed to be drawn to one particular group. Leo, Boa and Ryuu stayed behind, not very eager to go around talking to all the nymphs, just to find one willing to join them.

"Eria-chan!" Leo called after at least an hour. "Eria-chan!"

Boa was now awake, conveniently waking up after all the walking was finished. "Where is she?"

"Somewhere with some girls," Ryuu sighed. "You should've known that she was going to take ages. We could've tried to find a place to stay the night in the meantime."

Leo grumbled something under his breath which sounded remarkably like 'I'm not an expert on girls'.

Boa stuck his tongue out and started to run in the vague direction of where Eria was, leaving Leo and Ryuu to run about searching for him frantically.