Chapter 4

"Boa!" Leo cried, "You did it! You used your powers!"

The young child had the widest grin on his face, and he was jumping up and down with excitement. He'd never been this happy before. Maybe it was because someone had finally acknowledged his work. Maybe. Or maybe it was just Leo who made him so happy. Either way, he loved spending time with Leo.

"Yay!" he shouted, throwing his arms in the air, and jumping around.

Leo chuckled. "Well, Eria-chan and Hana-chan should be back before nightfall. You can tell them about it when they come."

Boa nodded, then gave a more confused look. "Why does it take so long to go to town anyways?"

Leo gave him a half-shrug. "Maybe they're just really slow at walking," he laughed.

"Really?!" Boa said incredulously.

"No, its actually quite a long way from here to where the marketplace is."

"Oh. But I can see the houses really close to here... It's not that far..."

Leo chuckled. "No, the marketplace is much further away. Its in the town centre. All the way over there," he crouched down to Boa's height and pointed to a speck of land far into the distance.

Boa yawned. "That must be so boring."

"Sure is."

"Then why did they go?"

"I guess girls just like going shopping. I don't know. How would I know any more than you?" he sighed, sitting down on the floor. Boa joined him.

"Because you're older than me, onii-san," he replied, matter-of-factly.

A warm smile spread across Leo's face and he lay his head back onto the ground. It was nice having someone call him 'older brother'. He never knew what it was like having a family, but this... This was starting to feel a whole lot like what he imagined one to be.

"Leo?" someone called, "Boa?"

Leo sat up quickly, noticing that Boa had fallen asleep beside him. "Welcome back."

Hana smiled, and Eria gave a side glance towards her.

Did she even listen to anything I told her?! Ugh! Maybe I'm just acting a bit jealous, but that's what us mediums call ignoring everything someone says! She's so annoying.

Boa pulled himself up, looking bleary-eyed. "Mm?" He noticed the girls were back quickly and scrambled to his feet. "Hana-san, Eria-san!"

"What is it?" Eria enquired.

"Look!" he placed his hands in front of him, letting them glow a bright green, "I awakened my powers with Leo!"

"Wow!" Eria crouched down next to Boa. "That's so cool!"

Boa stood tall, looking proud of himself. Eria smiled.

"And you, little boy, should be getting to sleep now," she tapped his nose.

"Really? Already?" he groaned. "I don't wanna go sleep!"

"But you have to!"

"Why?"

"You won't have any energy for tomorrow, and you won't be able to show off your powers again."

"Really? Fine..." he relented.

Eria steered him over to where the sleeping bags were set up and got him ready for bed.

She's really good with him, Leo thought, finding himself staring in her direction. For just a moment, he found himself at a lush peace.

"Leo?" Hana interjected, "Do you want to sit on the cliff edge again tonight?"

Leo was surprised that she had actually enjoyed his visit last night. She seemed so distant, like she didn't want him there. But if she did enjoy his company...

"Of course."

***

The pair were quickly dressed in order to watch the sun set, and the moon rise high up into the pitch black sky. The stars shone and glistened a beautiful white.

"Leo?" Hana gazed into his eyes.

"Yes?"

"Is it true?"

"Is what true?"

Hana turned away from him, looking down into her lap. "Is it true that you and Xymeria are-" she broke off as she noticed Eria drifting closer to them.

Eria smiled at them. "Is it ok if I join you guys?"

Leo nodded firmly, while Hana seemed instantly more distant. He didn't notice, too busy trying to strike up a conversation with the newest addition.

"The moon looks lovely tonight," Leo shuffled closer to Eria. She blushed as the moonlight shone on her beautiful features.

Hana turned away, clearly distressed. Her white nightdress fluttered in the wind, and she sat still until Leo and Eria announced that they were going to get to bed.

"Night!" Eria called.

"G'night Hana-chan."

Hana turned back to watching the view of the city. "Good night."