𝙚𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩𝙮 𝙚𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩.

─☼☼☼─

"𝙒𝙀 𝙉𝙀𝙀𝘿 𝙏𝙊 talk about this."

Anna and Mike Carrera were regarding their oldest daughter with looks full of concern. Their eyes continually drifted to her bruised eye that she hadn't even bothered to cover that morning.

She had avoided their questions the night previous after her, Kiara, and Sarah had left the party. But not long after she awoke, wedged in between her sister and friend, her parents had knocked on her bedroom door, asking to speak with her.

Now, Charlotte sat at the kitchen island, picking at her nail polish as she tried to avoid the stares from her parents.

She had awoken with an immense amount of dread that morning. She was heartbroken, and she was angry.

She was angry at Rafe for how he had treated her last night. And she was angry at JJ for causing a scene. But she was also heartbroken that JJ was willing to defend her like that, and that she still wanted to run back into Rafe's arms after all that had happened.

"There's nothing to talk about." She finally answered, dragging her eyes up to focus on her father who had spoken to her. "I got in the middle of a fight. My own fault really."

Anna exhaled, dropping her head slightly. "Charlotte, you disappeared for days and then show back up with a black eye that you lied to all of us about. And then we have to find out what really happened after one of your friends tries to beat up your boyfriend at our anniversary party."

Charlotte pursed her lips, "Well sorry I ruined your party."

"That's not what your mother is saying, Charlotte." Mike corrected.

"You're outta control, baby." Anna continued, tears settling in her eyes. "You've dropped out of school, you don't show up to the therapy appointments I make for you, you run off for days with barely a mention of where you are. We're scared for you."

A lump formed in Charlotte's throat as she looked back down at her manicure that she had ruined in the past five minutes. She picked at her nails again. "I'm fine."

Her voice broke slightly, signalling her lie.

"You're not." Anna whispered.

"Rafe and I are good." Charlotte argued. "We're back together and we're happy. I'm going to re-enroll in classes in the winter, and I'll go to my stupid therapy appointments. I'll be okay."

Mike studied his daughter, always able to read her better than her mother could. "Do you think getting back together with Rafe is what's best for you?"

Anna looked more taken off guard by the question than Charlotte did. She had always loved Rafe, her blinders on when it came to all the bullshit he had put her daughter through.

Meeting her father's eyes, Charlotte didn't say anything. She picked at her nails again. "I'm old enough to take care of myself. You guys don't have to worry so much."

"Baby," Anna whispered, "We're always going to worry about you. No matter how old you get. Something needs to change."

"What do you propose?" Charlotte snapped back, much harsher than warranted. But she was running on barely any sleep, and her heart felt like it had been ripped in two different directions.